What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

The Genius of Charlie Parker#3 (Verve)

The "Now's the Time" and "Song Is You" sessions.

These sessions have been mentioned quite a bit recently, so I thought I'd get out my 45-year-old LP, which proves to be in remarkably good condition. I'm not the first to remark on the many moods/styles of Bird, but the swaggeringly confident Parker of the first of these sessions seems to lead directly to Cannonball. Nothing better than listening to Bird playing"I Remember You" on a sunny day like this! Overall rating: one of the finest albums in modern jazz, the master of the music in superlative form and given the accompaniment he deserves.

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi again

Now spinning is "Miles Ahead!", Prestige Historical Series, original 1953-54 recordings. I just got this record. The players on the first 4 tracks are Miles Davis, Sonny Rollins and Charlie Parker (both on tenor), Walter Bishop Jr., Percy Heath and Philly Joe Jones.

I have 10 Sonny Rollins records and 10 cds. I also have 5 Parker records and 1 cd, but this is the first time I hear them together.

I don´t know if this is the right place in the forum to ask but I´m gonna try anyway:

I want to catalogue my jazz records and I´m looking for the right software for it. Although I have no more than 400 jazz records and about 300 cds, typing all the information for each title would take much time. I know there are some programs that search the net as soon as one writes in the title, and then put the information into the catalogue if they find any.

Has any of you used programs like these and what is your experience with them?

Best regards, Jóhannes

Hi again

Now spinning is "Miles Ahead!", Prestige Historical Series, original 1953-54 recordings. I just got this record. The players on the first 4 tracks are Miles Davis, Sonny Rollins and Charlie Parker (both on tenor), Walter Bishop Jr., Percy Heath and Philly Joe Jones.

I have 10 Sonny Rollins records and 10 cds. I also have 5 Parker records and 1 cd, but this is the first time I hear them together.

I don´t know if this is the right place in the forum to ask but I´m gonna try anyway:

I want to catalogue my jazz records and I´m looking for the right software for it. Although I have no more than 400 jazz records and about 300 cds, typing all the information for each title would take much time. I know there are some programs that search the net as soon as one writes in the title, and then put the information into the catalogue if they find any.

Has any of you used programs like these and what is your experience with them?

Best regards, Jóhannes

You're talking about Discogs on the web, right? For me it doesn't work because a lot of jazz listings aren't in there.

I just use Excel, though it of course I keep that pretty minimal. Access might be a better endeavor if you want to go "deep."

d74305vsbbe.jpg

Max Roach - Pictures in a Frame (Soul Note) I saw this band in Atlanta just after this album came out. They played a couple of tunes from the album, about which Max said "Don't look for it in your local record stores, because you won't find it!" I'm glad I found it - just 30 years later.