Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lee Morgan 'Sonic Boom' (King)

Always thought the title track went like mad on that one and was in a different class from the other tracks. Someone - Higgins, I think - is making a lot of "gone" noises on that one. Notice it had a different recording date from the others.

Always thought the title track went like mad on that one and was in a different class from the other tracks. Someone - Higgins, I think - is making a lot of "gone" noises on that one. Notice it had a different recording date from the others.

Hmm - not thought of that one before. The title track has significantly more 'ooomph' than the rest of the session, although I like it on the whole. Can't go wrong with Cedar Walton and Billy Higgins stokin' the fires. Fathead Newman also fits in very well in a Morgan group IMO.

Now spinning Teddy Edwards & Howard McGhee 'Together Again' (Contemporary DG stereo)

Edited by sidewinder

Hmm - not thought of that one before. The title track has significantly more 'ooomph' than the rest of the session, although I like it on the whole. Can't go wrong with Cedar Walton and Billy Higgins stokin' the fires. Fathead Newman also fits in very well in a Morgan group IMO.

I like all of side 1 of Sonic Boom alot.

Stan Levy--This Time the Drum's On Me (Bethleham)

Wow! Dexter on that one! :tup

Dexter sounds good on this one, as does the rest of the group. Found on Friday at Half Price Books.

Mingus - Blues and Roots - Atlantic (stereo, green & red label)

My first Mingus album, I bought it with my busboy tip money when I was 16. Three years ago. ;)

The first side of this album is really great. Side 2 grew on me over time.

Thanks for reminding me aboout this one Bill and Bob. Disposed of the vinyl years ago but it's a fine session with Fathead being something of a BN wild card. The cds second session withe the three horn front line has some nice sounds too. Higgins is certainly 'gone' on Sonic Boom.

Parker/Gillespie/Powell/Bauer/Tristano 'Bebop Highlights' (Temple)

Incidentally, has anyone ever come across this 'Temple' label before? It's heavy vinyl with black label and DG - LP sleeve is 'brown paper bag' shade card with 'Bebop Highlights' on the cover and typed script with the band lineup. Otherwise no further details, no reverse sleeve notes. Almost like a transcription disk or a posh back street bootleg. Weird ! :unsure:

Edited by sidewinder

Joe Albany 'Proto-Bopper' (Spotlite)

Saw Albany playing an upright piano in an upstairs room in a pub in Manchester in the 1970s during a tour organized by Tony Williams of Spotlite records. Albany looked in bad shape physically, which wasn't surprising in view of his misfortunes. Have some lovely Albany with Lester in my collection.