• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Woody Herman 'Early Autumn' (Verve, mono, blue label)

an assemblage of sides recorded for the Mars label. Woody Herman sings on most tunes including the title one!

Great band with - among others - Don Fagerquist, Carl Fontana and the great tenor sax section of Arno Marsh, Dick Hafer, Bill Perkins...

Al Cohn's Tones (Realm/Savoy)

Al-Cohn-Al-Cohns-Tones-448147.jpg

Love the price sticker on that one ! :tup

A lot of good Savoy mayerial on those Realm issues.

Unfortunately, I can't claim to have bought it for 22/6! I got it used at Vinyl Exchange, Manchester for £4 just a few years ago. But I am the proud possessor of 5 Realm vols of the Parker Savoys, which I bought when they came out at low price in 1963. Prior to that, at the age of 18 in 1958, I could only run to one vol of Parker Savoy on London American. Not a bad deal actually, as each vol gave a reasonable sampling of the Savoy output and you had to buy further vols largely to get alternative takes. A friend had one other vol and we collaborated on our bebop education!

But I am the proud possessor of 5 Realm vols of the Parker Savoys, which I bought when they came out at low price in 1963. Prior to that, at the age of 18 in 1958, I could only run to one vol of Parker Savoy on London American. Not a bad deal actually, as each vol gave a reasonable sampling of the Savoy output and you had to buy further vols largely to get alternative takes. A friend had one other vol and we collaborated on our bebop education!

I sometimes see Parker issues on London and Realm but as I already have the 70s twofer 'Bird - The Savoy Recordings' (Arista double) and the 5LP Savoy Parker set, haven't been tempted. Those Lucky Thomson/Milt Jackson sides did sound very good on Realm though !

The fucking White Album

I'm only playing it because I'm going to sell it on Ebay and am checking for skips etc. It's pretty hard going so far and I'm only part way through side 2.

Edit to add: I'd forgotten just how weak much of this album is. "Piggies", "Rocky Raccoon" and "Don't Pass Me By" make up a pretty desperate sequence.

Further edit to add "Why Don't We Do It In The Road?" to the above sequence.

Edited by rdavenport

Ramsey Lewis Trio - A Hard Day's Night (more damn Beatles).

Quite interesting sleeve notes - my favourite bit:

"... the Young Turks of jazz are grimly exploring the wild beyond"

Bo Diddley - "Hey! Bo Diddley"

That's a primitive sound - not an insult/complaint by the way.

Edited by rdavenport

Ramsey Lewis Trio - A Hard Day's Night (more damn Beatles).

RD, you really need to find the Ramsey Lewis "Mother Nature's Son" album - all White album tunes with Morton Subotnick-esque moog interludes between tracks. Far better than the Beatles' album.

Is it ALL the tracks off the White Album, or just the good ones? :lol:

I note that Amazon.co.uk has one copy available, at the bargain price of £110.

Now listening to Davy Graham - "Folk, Blues and Beyond".

Edited by rdavenport