Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

0.jpg

Watazumi Doso - The Mysterious Sounds of the Japanese Bamboo Flute (Everest)

Okay, it's a stupid album title. But I had been trying to find something by hotchiku flutist Watazumi Doso (or Watazumido-Shuso) after reading these passages by Steve Lacy. It's from the November, 2002 issue of The Wire, reprinted in the book Conversations With Steve Lacy.

Doso was a great master for me. I took two lessons from his and studied his music a lot.

He's one of the greatest improvisers I've ever heard in my life, maybe the greatest.

He was the most modern improviser I've ever heard in my life. He surpassed anybody I could think of, including Braxton, or Derek Bailey. Doso, to me, was just... whew, outside all of that, really.

Doso was like... whew, like Charlie Parker compared to all the other alto players, you know.

Once I finally found this album, I was afraid (if that's the right word) that I wouldn't "get" it. I know just a little bit about Japanese music, and I have a few shakuhachi recordings. But Watazumi's playing is really stunning - I've never heard anything like it. I'm glad I finally got to hear it.

0.jpg

Okay, it's a stupid album title. But I had been trying to find something by hotchiku flutist Watazumi Doso (or Watazumido-Shuso) after reading these passages by Steve Lacy. It's from the November, 2002 issue of The Wire, reprinted in the book Conversations With Steve Lacy.

Doso was a great master for me. I took two lessons from his and studied his music a lot.

He's one of the greatest improvisers I've ever heard in my life, maybe the greatest.

He was the most modern improviser I've ever heard in my life. He surpassed anybody I could think of, including Braxton, or Derek Bailey. Doso, to me, was just... whew, outside all of that, really.

Doso was like... whew, like Charlie Parker compared to all the other alto players, you know.

Once I finally found this album, I was afraid (if that's the right word) that I wouldn't "get" it. I know just a little bit about Japanese music, and I have a few shakuhachi recordings. But Watazumi's playing is really stunning - I've never heard anything like it. I'm glad I finally got to hear it.

So I read your post, the record sounds interesting, and I stopped at HPB on the way home and they had a copy for $4--I wasn't expecting it to be so easy.

0.jpg

So I read your post, the record sounds interesting, and I stopped at HPB on the way home and they had a copy for $4--I wasn't expecting it to be so easy.

Wow - nice work!

Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers, New York 1957 (Jazz Anthology, Musidisc)

Bought in Paris in 1980. Bears a sticker: "19F Prix Maximum"!

That would be £1.90 then ! :D

I recall that the sour-faced woman who served me made enquiries in the back of the store before releasing it at the marked price!! (Incidentally, it's one hell of a record. IMHO the McLean/Hardman/Dockery/De Brest Messengers just can't be beaten for FIRE!)

Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers, New York 1957 (Jazz Anthology, Musidisc)

Bought in Paris in 1980. Bears a sticker: "19F Prix Maximum"!

That would be £1.90 then ! :D

I recall that the sour-faced woman who served me made enquiries in the back of the store before releasing it at the marked price!! (Incidentally, it's one hell of a record. IMHO the McLean/Hardman/Dockery/De Brest Messengers just can't be beaten for FIRE!)

These Musidisc releases were available for a song in several Paris stores after Musidisc went down under!

Now spinning:

George Russell 'Jazz in the Space Age' (Decca, stereo)

Sonny Criss/Gerald Wiggins/Erroll Garner/Stan Getz - A Crown mishmash, with two tracks from 1947 Just Jazz concerts and two tracks by the Teddy Edwards Quartet (with Wiggins) from 1959/60. Garner is not even on any of these recordings, although he did play at least one of the Just Jazz concerts this is drawn from. This was the first issue of the Edwards tracks.

Poorly recorded, poorly pressed, poorly put together - but some excellent music.