What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

Now:

The George Wallington Quintet at Cafe Bohemia (Progressive) with Donald Byrd, Jackie McLean, Paul Chambers and Art Taylor. The 1985 issue with alternates of the original Progressive album of the same title

next:

United Notions with Toshiko and the International Jazz Sextet (MetroJazz Japan) with Nat Adderley, Rolf Kuhn, Bobby Jaspar, Rene Thomas, etc.

• Replies 55.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Terry Plumeri - He who lives in many places

a very rare musician-produced LP from 1975 (recorded in 1971) with Herbie Hancock, John Abercormbie, Michael Smith on drums - Plumeri plays bass. He was with Roberta Flack at the time. Some type of "soft fusion" - but no easy listening, just not rockish.

Edited by mikeweil

This weekend-- so far :

Blakey & Jazz Messengers, "Freedom Rider"

Bobby Hutcherson-  "Stick Up"

Stanley Turrentine-  "Mr. Natural"

Coleman Hawkins-  "Hawk Eyes"

I have a lot of CDs, but I am starting to think that the only way to really listen to jazz is on vinyl.  It just seems so RIGHT, know what I mean?  Even the little staticky parts on the vinyl  :)    The vinyl sounds better, more ALIVE.  I love that quality, as welll as the larger art work, the record label, and all that glorious vinyl.  :wub:

Welcome to the small but dedicated ranks of the truly enlightened. Vinyl has a beating heart, a warmth, a pulse that CD's IMO do not. As for CDs not requiring the careful handling that vinyl does, that's nonsense. Quality things, whether they are cashmere sweaters, fine china, beautiful art or jazz vinyl, all deserve special care in order to last. Vinyl is surprisingly durable, as evidenced by collections which are decades old and still pristine and beautifully playable, because their owners cared.

All the other qualities you mentioned are what draw me to vinyl over CDs, though, of course I have CDs as well. There is no turntable in a car, sadly.

Vinyl. I love it!!! :wub:

Edited by patricia

BNC-1590.jpg

Classic Records re-issues. Mono, all-tube mono tube cutting system, thick vinyl, heavy stock covers with deep groove labels.

Worth the money?  Goddamn they're expensive... <_<

Good question. With this Blue Note series, I guess it depends on a few factors. These are very, very nice reissues or would not keep buying them. Without going into detail, my only reservation is that the high frequency distortion, apparent on many BN's, is still present in greater and lesser degrees on these. It's especially bad on Lee Morgan/ Vol.3. Out of the last six I've gotten it's the only one I'm not happy with.

I've been buying these kinds of reissues for years and I'm glad I have been doing so. They all get lots of play and I feel it's worth it.

Get Morgan/Candy and see if it's worth it for you.

Edited by wolff

This weekend-- so far :

Blakey & Jazz Messengers, "Freedom Rider"

Bobby Hutcherson-  "Stick Up"

Stanley Turrentine-  "Mr. Natural"

Coleman Hawkins-  "Hawk Eyes"

I have a lot of CDs, but I am starting to think that the only way to really listen to jazz is on vinyl.  It just seems so RIGHT, know what I mean?  Even the little staticky parts on the vinyl   :)     The vinyl sounds better, more ALIVE.  I love that quality, as welll as the larger art work, the record label, and all that glorious vinyl.   :wub:

Welcome to the small but dedicated ranks of the truly enlightened. Vinyl has a beating heart, a warmth, a pulse that CD's IMO do not. As for CDs not requiring the careful handling that vinyl does, that's nonsense. Quality things, whether they are cashmere sweaters, fine china, beautiful art or jazz vinyl, all deserve special care in order to last. Vinyl is surprisingly durable, as evidenced by collections which are decades old and still pristine and beautifully playable, because their owners cared.

All the other qualities you mentioned are what draw me to vinyl over CDs, though, of course I have CDs as well. There is no turntable in a car, sadly.

Vinyl. I love it!!! :wub:

I miss Leeway!!!