• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dave_Brubeck_Bossa_Nova_USA.jpg

mono.

I tend to like small combo jazz better in mono than in stereo. Most Brubeck Columbia LPs sound better in mono - there is a better balance between the instruments. Sometimes the drums are too loud on the stereo versions.

But on the mono Bossa Nova USA, I thought the drums were a little too quiet, and ultimately, I unloaded the mono and kept the stereo. One of the few times this has happened.

Jazz at the Philharmonic/Lester Young: Carnegie Blues (Verve)

Edited to say that Joe Guy, who plays on one 1946 track here, was a very interesting trumpet player, albeit one whose work doesn't sound quite "finished" to me, if that makes any sense.

Edited by jeffcrom

Edited to say that Joe Guy, who plays on one 1946 track here, was a very interesting trumpet player, albeit one whose work doesn't sound quite "finished" to me, if that makes any sense.

Hadn't he been one of the Minton's Playhouse innovators, caught on tape, and with a style that lay between swing and bop?

Edited by BillF

Hadn't he been one of the Minton's Playhouse innovators, caught on tape, and with a style that lay between swing and bop?

Yes, he does some really nice playing on those Jerry Newman recordings from Minton's with Monk and Charlie Christian. He also plays interesting, forward-looking solos on "Rocky Comfort," from the only studio session (1940) by Coleman Hawkins' big band, and the first recording of "Epistrophy," by Cootie Williams' big band.