• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jazz for a Sunday Afternoon, Volume 3: The West Coast Scene (Solid State). Bobby Bryant, Sweets Edison, Pete Christlieb, Harold Land, etc.

Leo Smith (not billed as Wadada on the cover) - Divine Love (ECM). Definitely one of ECM's best releases.

Cover.jpg077663.jpg

Steve Lacy - Flakes (Vista). Vista was a short-lived subsidiary of Italian RCA, specializing in avant-garde jazz. This is Lacy at his most "poly-free" radical. My old boss Michael J. Smith plays some wild Hammond organ on "The New Duck."

All-Star Marching Band - New Orleans Parade (GNP/Crescendo). This 1978 brass band recording is by a pick-up group, drawn largely from the Onward Brass Band, but it looks like there are few Olympia and Young Tuxedo musicians on hand.

Cover.jpg

Steve Lacy - Flakes (Vista). Vista was a short-lived subsidiary of Italian RCA, specializing in avant-garde jazz. This is Lacy at his most "poly-free" radical. My old boss Michael J. Smith plays some wild Hammond organ on "The New Duck."

That Lacy is a fine one! I didn't know you worked with Michael J. Smith - fine player, that Geomusic stuff is really intense.

Shit, I owe you a couple of Lacy CDs don't I?

Cover.jpg

That Lacy is a fine one! I didn't know you worked with Michael J. Smith - fine player, that Geomusic stuff is really intense.

Yeah, Michael lived in Atlanta for a year around the turn of the 1990's. We did some recording that Michael never released, but I put out a couple of tracks on a CD of mine. He got pretty discouraged (understandably) with the Atlanta music scene and went back to Sweden. But in that year, he was quite a figure around here - he'd wear colored jumpsuits with white boots and drive around in a Delorean.

Cover.jpg

Yeah, Michael lived in Atlanta for a year around the turn of the 1990's. We did some recording that Michael never released, but I put out a couple of tracks on a CD of mine. He got pretty discouraged (understandably) with the Atlanta music scene and went back to Sweden. But in that year, he was quite a figure around here - he'd wear colored jumpsuits with white boots and drive around in a Delorean.

Why does that outfit not surprise me... he seems like a pretty far-out dude.

Past week or so....

McRad - Dominant Force (Red Music)

Jack Rose with D. Charles Speer & the Helix - Ragged and Right (Thrill Jockey)

Elaine Radigue - Joulet Electronique / Elemental I (Alga Marghen)

The Holydrug Couple - Anicent Land (Sacred Bones)

The Psychedelic Aliens - Psycho African Beat (Academy Records)

Zola Jesus - Valusia (Sacred Bones)

Naked on the Vague - Twelve Dark Noons (Sacred Bones)

Blind Faith - S/t (RSO, late 70's crappy pressing)

Odyssey - Setting Forth (Lion Productions)

Treemonisha_Y.jpg

Scott Joplin's opera Treemonisha on Deutsche Grammophon, conducted by Gunther Schuller. I don't pull this one off the shelf very often - it's probably been five or six years since I listened to it. And while I like it, every time I hear it, I wish it were better. The music is pretty good, but the libretto, written by Joplin himself, is painfully amateurish. I wish he had gotten James Weldon Johnson to write the libretto.