• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Other than the Solal, which I don't have, those others have not seen spins in many years in the Clifford household... hmm.

Earlier tonight, spun a very clean copy of this record, bought recently to replace a somewhat ratty copy:

Nature's Consort - Nature's Consort - Otic

Bobby Naughton, Mario Pavone, Laurence Cook, Mark Whitecage and James Duboise in concert, 1969. Beautiful silk-screened cover.

Now that does sound interesting. I bet copies of that don't appear often, in whatever condition. As I thoroughly enjoy Naughton;s Understanding I think I need to investigate

Yeah, Understanding is "the shit," but Nature's Consort is pretty awesome too. Naughton's recordings have never disappointed.

Trumexc.jpg

Great disc! I have it on HMV vinyl with a label of this sort:

HMVEG962.jpg

I saw that Gillespie band on tour in 1959 with the Dave Brubeck Quartet and the Buck Clayton All Stars.

mine is on the black verve label. paid a whopping $2 for a really great lp. I imagine the show in '59 was awesome.

Edited by TBW

I imagine the show in '59 was awesome.

Yes, I sat in the cheapest sets which were onstage at the side of the band. Dizzy did his usual gag of saying, "Now I'd like to introduce the members of the band" and took Les Spann up to the piano to shake hands with Junior Mance. :lol: Most of the audience of my age (19) were just there to see Brubeck who had something of a mass following at the time, but I'm pleased to say that I was already digging Dizzy and Bird.

3009445.jpg

i picked this up today. the back cover notes are upside down on the one i got. not sure if it is an error or not. this is the only copy of this i have ever seen.

I imagine the show in '59 was awesome.

Yes, I sat in the cheapest sets which were onstage at the side of the band. Dizzy did his usual gag of saying, "Now I'd like to introduce the members of the band" and took Les Spann up to the piano to shake hands with Junior Mance. :lol: Most of the audience of my age (19) were just there to see Brubeck who had something of a mass following at the time, but I'm pleased to say that I was already digging Dizzy and Bird.

That is funny that the cheap seats then are the expensive vip seats now. how show must have changed.

From Dixie to Swing (Classic Jazz). Doc Cheatham, Vic Dickenson, Kenny Davern, Dick Wellstood, George Duvivier and Gus Johnson. This is mostly pretty nice, but has some slightly strange moments - it's available in this form (now on CD) and as a Music Minus One recording, or rather six different MMO CDs, each with one instrument missing. Many of the piano solos are so spare that they seem to be intended for extra improvised choruses for the MMO versions. Other than that, this is a pretty good record of what used to be called "mainstream."