Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gil Evans (Ampex)

How's your pressing? Every one I've come across has been noisier than hell...

I just found this at HPB, it's a DJ copy--I was very pleasantly surprised by how good the LP sounded, not that much surface noise at all. Wonderfully vivid sound actually (causing me to crank it up pretty loud). I don't think whatever DJ got this copy ever played it.

cover.jpg

Hugh Masekela - The African Connection (Impulse). This is Impulse's reissue of the two-LP Blue Thumb album. I'm not an expert on Masekela's music, but I know that lots of it seems kind of lightweight. This one is fabulous, though, with Dudu Pukwana, Larry Willis, Eddie Gomez, and Nakhaya Ntshoko.

cover.jpg

Hugh Masekela - The African Connection (Impulse). This is Impulse's reissue of the two-LP Blue Thumb album. I'm not an expert on Masekela's music, but I know that lots of it seems kind of lightweight. This one is fabulous, though, with Dudu Pukwana, Larry Willis, Eddie Gomez, and Nakhaya Ntshoko.

Yes, that one's fabulous! But to me, it's by far Masekela's finest (Dudu smokes... and spews fire!)

Don't know that much yet, but nothing else I've heard had a similar impact on me...

Claude Delcloo/Arthur Jones - Africanasia [bYG]

shcd120.jpg

Other Dimensions in Music (Silkheart). Beautiful, melodic free jazz, improvised by Roy Campbell, Daniel Carter, William Parker, and Rashid Bakr.

Didn't know about that one, so thanks for posting. Enjoy many of their others. Off to hunt it down, now

Claude Delcloo/Arthur Jones - Africanasia [bYG]

shcd120.jpg

Other Dimensions in Music (Silkheart). Beautiful, melodic free jazz, improvised by Roy Campbell, Daniel Carter, William Parker, and Rashid Bakr.

Didn't know about that one, so thanks for posting. Enjoy many of their others. Off to hunt it down, now

Also on cd.

Claude Thornhill - One Night Stand (Joyce). Broadcast recordings from 1946, 1950, and 1953. Plenty of forgettable stuff here, but also several of those amazing Gil Evans charts. And there are some interesting musicians on the '50's material: John Carisi, Hal McKusick, Med Flory, Barry Galbraith.

And Claude Thornhill was one of the few musical enthusiasms my late mom and I shared. She grew up listening to the big bands, and liked the rich sound of Thornhill's band; I was listening to the Gil Evans charts and Lee Konitz solos. But it was nice listening to this music with her.

Edit: Gene Quill kicks ass on "Too Marvelous For Words," from 1953.

Edited by jeffcrom

The Claude Thornhill broadcast recordings I just listened to put me in a mood to listen to one of my little treasures - a home-recorded disc of a broadcast by Ray McKinley and His Orchestra from August, 1947. There are two Eddie Sauter arrangements, including the amazing "Sand Storm." I also spun the flip side, by Skitch Henderson and His Orchestra. I write about these recordings here.