Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

51o-HtaIvVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Dave Brubeck Quartet - Gone With the Wind (Columbia 6 eye stereo)

In spite of reservations about Brubeck's musicianship, I find his music very comforting when I'm in certain moods. And it's probably morbid to say this, but I've been thinking a lot lately about his age and health, and how much I'll miss him when he's gone.

Friedrich Gulda 'At Birdland' (RCA Victor, mono)

k77048td1cu.jpg

Interesting lineup (Idrees Sulieman, Jimmy Cleveland, Phil Woods, Seldon Powell, Gulda, Aaron Bell and Nick Stabulas) fgor this excellent session. Cover photo by Herman Leonard, liner notes by producer John Hammond (did he often produce for Victor?)

Earl Humphrey & Igor's Imperial Orchestra (Center mono). Dick Allen used to insist that Earl was the most talented of the Humphrey brothers. Don't think I agree - Percy was great and Willie was fabulous at his best, but I would at least pay attention when Dick Allen told me something.

This 1966 album was Earl's first recording in 40 years, since the Louis Dumaine sides. All the Humphrey brothers could put away some Wild Turkey, apparently, but Earl was the only one for whom it was apparently something of a problem. His playing is rough, but appealing, and the band is good - DeDe Pierce in on trumpet and young Orange Kellin is the clarinetist. (I saw him at Preservation Hall last year.) Nice stuff.

Stompin_At_The_Famous_Door_Front_1800.jpg

George Girard - Stompin' at the Famous Door (Vik). One of the last recordings by the talented New Orleans trumpeter - he died of cancer seven months later at age 26. His music sometimes had too much of that Bourbon Street dixieland flavor, but at his best he was so tasty that I'll forgive him for a few lapses of taste. And Harry Shields, one of my favorite New Orleans clarinetists, is on hand. I've always thought that he was a much better player than his brother Larry, of the ODJB.