Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

30358127.jpg

Elmore James and his Broomdusters: The Original Meteor and Flair Sides (Ace)

Elmore looked like a banker or a schoolteacher, but no one sang and played with more passion than he did.

And the late Bob Jones was able to make the old Ace LPs that he mastered come alive like no one else could.

And don't know if the photo is large enough or clear enough, but those are Erroll Garner and Stan Kenton LP jackets on the wall behind Elmore and Homesick James. Who have thunk it?

Playing some of my New Orleans acquisitions:

George Girard - Dixieland Jazz From New Orleans (Imperial 10"). A really nice album by an ill-fated Crescent City trumpeter I like a lot.

Buck Clayton Jam Session - The Hucklebuck & Robbins' Nest (Columbia). This seems to be a first (or at least very early) pressing. It has a brick red "pre-eye" label. It's in decent shape and sounds pretty good.

Wardell Gray - Way Out Wardell (Crown). I had been looking for a good copy of this; it also seems to be an early pressing, and it's also in good shape.

Edited by jeffcrom

I was just poking around the web, trying to find out more about my copy of Way Out Wardell, and came across this:

CLP-5004 - Way Out Wardell - Wardell Gray [1957] Issued in monaural only. Reissue of Modern 1204 with "Sweet Georgia Brown" deleted, leaving only four songs. Some of the Crown LPs list "Sweet Georgia Brown" on the back of the jacket, however. Modern 1204 had a blue cover with a photo of Wardell, while the Crown reissue has a red cover with a different pose from the same photo shoot. Blue Lou/Just You Just Me//One O'Clock Jump/Tenderly

Well, my copy is Crown CLP 5004, with the blue cover (but definitely with the Crown name and logo) and the earliest Crown label style. And it has "Sweet Georgia Brown." I'm guessing that this is the very first Crown pressing of the album.