Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

083537.jpg

Very Warm for Jazz - Ralph Burns (Decca)

elegant chamber like set from Ralph Burns with a nice line up including Eddie Costa and Barry Galbraith

and next

Cover.jpg

Billy Bean &Johnny Pisano -Makin It (Brunswick UK, ex Decca)

and finally ,completing my collection of Decca Mood Jazz albums with animal covers

627efdf4-bbec-4b63-a1bc-83007f3b06b0-0.JPG

Barry Galbraith -Guitar and the Wind (Brunswick UK , ex Decca)

Edited by Clunky

The_Hour_Glass_Power_of_Love.jpg

Hourglass - Power of Love (Liberty) The second, and better, album by the group Duane and Gregg Allman led before the formation of Allman Brothers Band. It still ain't great, but I give it a spin every once in a while. The searing "B.B. King Medley" released on The Duane Allman Anthology shows what this band was capable of when out of the clutches of Liberty's producers.

61g%2BplgKZ8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Kid Ory - This Kid's the Greatest! (Good Time Jazz mono). This collection of Ory's mid-50's recordings was one of the albums my sweet, encouraging mom brought home for me when I started to get interested in jazz, so it's one of the first 20 jazz albums I owned. I liked it then, and I still do. The personnel changes a lot from session to session - New Orleanians are replaced by West Coast dixielanders, Don Ewell and R & B great Lloyd Glenn alternate on piano, and Barney Kessel even takes a turn on rhythm guitar. But there is an amazing consistency of sound and approach. Listening now, I'm struck, as I was back in 1974, with the power of Ory's trombone.

My favorite of the four clarinetists who appear on this album is Pud Brown, a West Coaster who ended up in New Orleans, and even had a local hit with "Palm Court Strut" at the turn of the 1990's. His low-register sound is just delicious, and he plays with a lot of imagination.

Henry 'Red' Allen 'Mr. Allen' (Prestige/Swingville, mono, red label)

026906.jpg

Very nice album which still carries a $14,00 price tag from NYK's Academy Store.

Worth every cent (and much more)!

Side A has a Prestige/Swingville label, side B has a Prestige/Bluesvile label)!

Edited by brownie