Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tony Scott--52nd Street Scene (Coral)

That's a nice on KH. One that's easy to overlook. Not on cd to my knowledge.

I just found a more or less near mint copy of this--Hawkins, Knepper, Red Rodney, Pee Wee Russell, Al Cohn, Oscar Pettiford, Roy Haynes, etc., from around 1957-58, I think--eminently likable!

Roland Kirk with Jack McDuff 'Kirk's Work' (Prestige, mono, yellow label)

albumcoverRolandKirk-KirksWork.jpg?1224263692

How well I remember that one! It made a big hit when it first came out about 1962. The first Roland Kirk I heard!

On Esquire, Bill? (my pressing is on that imprint).

IIRC the one that circulated among my friends at the time was on (expensive in Britain) Prestige.

This is a pretty hot set, recorded live in San Francisco at the Both/And Club. Archie Shepp, Roswell Rudd (who is really outstanding here), Beaver Harris, and two bassists, Donald Garrett and Lewis Worrell. I don't think it's been released on CD.

1178916-archie-shepp-three-for-a-quarter-one-for-a-dime.jpg

Not sure if it was ever reissued on CD on it's own, but it was included as part of the 1998 CD reissue of Shepp - Live in San Francisco.

This is a pretty hot set, recorded live in San Francisco at the Both/And Club. Archie Shepp, Roswell Rudd (who is really outstanding here), Beaver Harris, and two bassists, Donald Garrett and Lewis Worrell. I don't think it's been released on CD.

1178916-archie-shepp-three-for-a-quarter-one-for-a-dime.jpg

Not sure if it was ever reissued on CD on it's own, but it was included as part of the 1998 CD reissue of Shepp - Live in San Francisco.

OK, I did not know that. Makes a good pairing. I have the Live in S.F. on vinyl.

Roland Kirk with Jack McDuff 'Kirk's Work' (Prestige, mono, yellow label)

albumcoverRolandKirk-KirksWork.jpg?1224263692

How well I remember that one! It made a big hit when it first came out about 1962. The first Roland Kirk I heard!

On Esquire, Bill? (my pressing is on that imprint).

IIRC the one that circulated among my friends at the time was on (expensive in Britain) Prestige.

I still have my Esquire issue. Probably my favourite Kirk.

Chuck, any chance of a CD reissue of "People in Sorrow"? I note that Toshiba did a couple of CD issues, last one in 1988. Time for a Nessa CD?

artensemblepeopleins101b.jpg?a=90

Maybe you're aware it was also released in the Americans Swinging in Paris series paired with Les Stances a Sophie. But I agree it would be nice to have a CD issue from Chuck with the original art, etc.

Chuck, any chance of a CD reissue of "People in Sorrow"? I note that Toshiba did a couple of CD issues, last one in 1988. Time for a Nessa CD?

artensemblepeopleins101b.jpg?a=90

Maybe you're aware it was also released in the Americans Swinging in Paris series paired with Les Stances a Sophie. But I agree it would be nice to have a CD issue from Chuck with the original art, etc.

Chuck's been over this before, but he licensed the tapes from EMI to do the vinyl "back in the day." He'd have to do that again for the CDs, which is probably expensive and not easy to do. They were originally released as Pathe LPs and the Nessa issues followed shortly after, though they had more pressing runs than the Pathe (and Odeon Japan) vinyl.