wolff

What vinyl are you spinning right now??

44,209 posts in this topic

bill_evans_waltz_for_debby.jpg

Bill Evans Trio - Waltz For Debby (Riverside/OJC)

My sense is this album is generally overlooked. Been awhile since I listened to it. On this listen I was really impressed by the interplay between Lacy and Smith, who really gets outside on a lot of the pieces.

042505.jpg

I think Michael was the best pianist Lacy ever had in terms of getting to the meat of Steve's compositions.

I used to have that album and didn't keep it. You know Michael's music better than I do, Jeff, but I'm curious to hear your opinion. Always thought Mal was kind of the "perfect foil" but then again, he's also the pianist I've heard with Lacy the most. Others being Smith, Satoh, Cecil, Perez, and of course that "Five Facings" duets CD on FMP (which wasn't all that great IMO) with Crispell, Van Hove, Gumpert, Mengelberg, and Vladimir Miller.

Let me clarify: Michael was not the best pianist Lacy ever had, but he was the best in terms of interpreting Lacy's music. He seemed to grasp Lacy's compositions and complement them perfectly. (Bobby Few also came close to this level of empathy with Steve's music.) When Waldron or Mengelberg (to pick two obvious examples) played with Lacy, their strong personalities changed things so that so that it was no longer "Lacy's music" - it was Lacy-with-Waldron, or Lacy-with-Mengelberg. Michael, on the other hand, seemed to completely give himself over to Lacy's vision.

I love the Lacy/Waldron duets, and you're right - Waldron is a great foil for Lacy. But it's a completely different experience than listening to a "Steve Lacy" performance.

Does that make sense?

I like Five Facings more than you do, by the way.

(Edited to correct spelling.)

Lacy's hookups with pianists can be hit or miss. Waldron was clearly the most successful partner. On the "Five Facings," IIRC, I thought the Van Hove and Mengelberg were the most successful of the pairings. The others were not happening. I suspect from the pianists' POV, playing with Lacy was a challenge; you couldn't just comp or play easy licks. What I like about the performance with Smith is how ardently both play, the high level of interaction, and the inventiveness of the playing. Smith pushes the envelope more than I expected. In turn, Lacy seems really into it. I really don't know Smith's other work, but this album was a pleasant surprise to me.

Now on to something completely different:

Miles Davis "IN A SILENT WAY"--

2511769-miles-davis-in-a-silent-way.jpg

Edited by Leeway

R-50-883550-1168947629.jpeg

Globe Unity Orchestra: Jahrmarkt/Local Fair (Po Torch)

Edited by paul secor

For Paul Motian, who has embarked on that final "voyage." LE VOYAGE: Paul Motian, J.F. Jenny-Clark, Charles Brackeen (who is wonderful). ECM LP.

244855_1_f.jpg

Teddy Edwards 'Feelin's' (Muse)

DSC01646.JPG

CL 949 mono 6-eye

miles.jpg

Hey there Tim; nice to see you here. I've not been here in a long while; just not enough time these days...

Sorry for not getting back to you a couple weeks back. I did check out your blog. Very cool; I know that can be a bit of work sometimes.

I was up a good chunk of the night...; couldn't sleep...; pain.

But I gave a spin to Side 1 of Keith Jarretts "Expectations" sometime about 4am. I was groovin', sorta, and was finally starting to nod off towards the end of the side. We've recently had a nasty infestation of yellowjacket wasps in a corner of the exterior of our family room, where the stereo is. They've been getting inside; was killing 20-40 wasps a day inside the house. It's sealed up now and their presence is diminishing.

Well, there was a part that started up, must've been Dewey's sax, but it sounded just like a friggin' wasp in my right ear! I fuckin' freaked, tearing off the headphones, batting my hands about...; going from a state of peace and relaxation to a complete eruption of activity, fear, stress,...

I kinda laughed afterwards, but dang...scared the sheet out of me!

This one might be heading to the "sell" pile...heh...

I was up a good chunk of the night...; couldn't sleep...; pain.

But I gave a spin to Side 1 of Keith Jarretts "Expectations" sometime about 4am. I was groovin', sorta, and was finally starting to nod off towards the end of the side. We've recently had a nasty infestation of yellowjacket wasps in a corner of the exterior of our family room, where the stereo is. They've been getting inside; was killing 20-40 wasps a day inside the house. It's sealed up now and their presence is diminishing.

Well, there was a part that started up, must've been Dewey's sax, but it sounded just like a friggin' wasp in my right ear! I fuckin' freaked, tearing off the headphones, batting my hands about...; going from a state of peace and relaxation to a complete eruption of activity, fear, stress,...

I kinda laughed afterwards, but dang...scared the sheet out of me!

This one might be heading to the "sell" pile...heh...

Hi Scott--its all good--thanks for checking it out. It is a bit of work, just trying to put something up every 2 or 3 days.

Chet Baker/Steve Houben (Carrère)

38638.jpg

The Toshiba 10in. of THE PROPHETIC HERBIE NICHOLS:

448373.jpg

g94640zmoj4.jpg

Dizzy Gillespie with The Orchestra: One Night in Washington (Elektra Musician)

Listened to this a couple of times when it came out and not since. Was reminded how good it is when I played it today.

Edited by paul secor

Don Friedman 'A Day in the City'( (Riverside, stereo, black label)

VGPCD00Z.jpg

art_barkley_indestructible.jpg

Indestructible, indeed! First heard it in the 60s and its power's undiminished. :tup

art_barkley_indestructible.jpg

Indestructible, indeed! First heard it in the 60s and its power's undiminished. :tup

Had to visit with Lee happy.gif

Inspired by a recent thread:

cover_5338132582009.jpg

The Great Jazz Trio 'Direct from L.A.' (EastWind Direct Mastering)

14537.png

Stan Tracey 'Under Milk Wood Suite' (UK Columbia Lansdowne Series, mono)

The Great Jazz Trio 'Direct from L.A.' (EastWind Direct Mastering)

14537.png

Nice one ! I'll dig that one out later.

Chet Baker/Steve Houben (Carrère)

38638.jpg

Picked up Chet's 'Let's get Lost' DVD for £3 at the (not to be mentioned) place so that will be tonight's viewing.

The Genius of Art Tatum No. 6 (Verve trumpet)

Nat Adderley, Little Big Horn (Riverside Orpheum)

the_haunt.jpg

Bobby Naughton/Leo Smith/Perry Robinson - The Haunt (Otic)

Beautiful! Thanks to Leeway for making me aware of this one and to Chuck for pointing me to Mr. Naughton's website, where it's for sale.

bud-shank-new-groove-20111008085306.jpg

Bud Shank - New Groove (PJ stereo). It's been awhile, and I had forgotten how good this album is.

619O7KbB9AL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

After spinning Leroy Jones and his Hurricane Marching Brass Band of New Orleans (Lo An), I turned to the album Rebirth Brass Band founder Philip Frazier calls "The Bible:"

Dirty Dozen Brass Band - My Feet Can't Fail Me Now (Concord)

It's still stunning 25 years later. My copy, bought the week it was issued, is still in near-mint condition, but I might look into the Floating World remastered CD. It's always bothered me that you can barely hear the bass drum on the LP - that's arguably the most important instrument in a New Orleans brass band. (Read Louis Armstrong's comments about bass drummer Black Benny Williams in My Life in New Orleans.)

Another New Orleans brass band LP so obscure that I couldn't find a picture online:

Imperial Brass Band - A New Orleans Street Parade Live in Paris (Sandcastle). This was trumpeter Alvin Alcorn's band, and was a pickup band, rather than a working group, I believe. This was a mid-70's concert; I heard clarinetist Ralph Johnson at Preservation Hall a couple of times years later, and trombonist Freddie Lonzo many times.