• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Charles Mingus--A Modern Jazz Symposium of Music and Poetry (Bethleham).

1957 Mingus is just incredible--the base group of Mingus, Richmond, Jimmy Knepper, and Shafi Hadi is one of my favorites.

Charles Mingus--Wonderland (United Artists, disembodied Mingus head pressing). I noticed that there is a an ear or P in the inner groove, just like a Blue Note pressing.

gbdo.gif

Gordon Beck Plus Two 'Dr Doolittle Loves Jazz' (Major Minor, mono). This was producer Ray Horrick's old copy. Nice that he did the sleeve notes too.

Also a Michael Garrick obscurity from 1965. 'Anthem' (UK Argo EP, mono)

garrickAnthemEP.jpg

And a nice 1955 EP from Joe Harriott. 'Joe Harriott Quartet' (UK Columbia EP, mono)

harriottColumbiaEP.jpg

TARFALA TRIO: SYZYGY. Gustafsson, Guy, Strid. Delicacy and power. Gustafsson really is on form here. Double LP (plus 7" vinyl) on No Business.

NBLP35-36.jpg

NBE1.jpg

Yeah, I like that one a lot.

Review for those who are curious.

Good review Clifford. I like your comparison to The Thing. For my part, I find Mats stuff to be somewhat variable. I prefer him in situations like The Thing and Tarfala, but I've not been won over by his experiments in electronics. I appreciate that he wants to expand his palette, but i don't think he touches on his strengths in that kind of music. Just my taste perhaps.

67883.jpg

114758259.jpg

Never saw that cover for Tijuana Moods.

I know! I had a heck of a time finding an illustration. Almost all list the one with the lovely senorita on it. I didn't even find it listed in Discogs. The album number is RCA APL1-0939. Jacket states "Formerly LSP 2533." The LP has an RCA Victor tan label.

Edited by Leeway

Various---70s-80s--90s-P-The-Rock-Machine-292944.jpg

Particularly like Fresh Garbage by Spirit and Time of the season - The Zombies but it;s a pretty decent compilation from CBS 1968

samrivers1.jpg

followed by

0000087751_350.jpg

preferring the latter.

I played both of these last night and found them both to be excellent, hard to choose

Edited by Clunky

Best thing about this Kenny Wheeler album on ECM is that Evan Parker is on it, and when he gets a chance to really play, he blows that whole gauzy, vaporous ECM sound right out the door.

0009ee0b_medium.jpeg

played it myself the other day, probably my favourite Wheeler on ECM. I was equally impressed by EP's contribution. I've seen him play several times with Wheeler's ensembles and he invariably adds a contrasting 'edge' to proceedings - not that KW's anything other than mighty fine without him