Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

image028.jpg

Seattle Beat (Capitol Custom). Picked this up in Washington earlier this week - it's a 1962 collection of Seattle jazz. Much of it is pretty bad (when I die and go to Hell I expect Myron Hinkle & the Blue Banjo Boys' version of "Goofus" to be playing continuously on the sound system), but there are two tracks by Corky Corcoran, a Hawkins-influenced tenor player I've always liked. And there are a couple of good cuts by Chuck Mahaffay & The Individuals. Mahaffay played drums and clarinet; Larry Coryell was in The Individuals a couple of years later, but there's no guitar on these tunes.

Ike Quebec Congo Lament

766271281332150_2.jpg

My award for the most ridiculous Blue Note cover art ever !

I've seen one worse. It was the reissue of Grant Green's "Goin' West." Same series that this Quebec session is from. I can't find the cover online. It is of a acoustic guitar leaning up against a cactus.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

now playing:

Contrasts_(Sam_Rivers_album).jpg

Sam Rivers - Contrasts

Lined up next are these two:

Excellent Sam Rivers album, PARAGON, on the FLUID label, with Holland and Altschul.

para1.jpeg

5403.jpg

Plucked at random from the Rs, good session

"Paragon" is one of my very favorite Rivers albums!

@vinyltim: sorry, didn't note your reply regarding my deepgroove question within due time! Thanks!

087142.jpg

Watching ten or so minutes of the mainstream pop culture festivities on television at midnight was so bizarre that I needed something real to experience before going to bed. So like Leeway recently, I spun:

Sam Rivers - Hues (Impulse) Almost half of this album has been reissued in more complete form on the Trio Live CD. But the rest hasn't, including the only six released minutes of the fabulous Rivers/Richard Davis/Warren Smith trio. Here's hoping that the 1971 Boston concert and the 1972 Rochester, Minnesota show will be issued in full one of these days.

087142.jpg

Watching ten or so minutes of the mainstream pop culture festivities on television at midnight was so bizarre that I needed something real to experience before going to bed. So like Leeway recently, I spun:

Sam Rivers - Hues (Impulse) Almost half of this album has been reissued in more complete form on the Trio Live CD. But the rest hasn't, including the only six released minutes of the fabulous Rivers/Richard Davis/Warren Smith trio. Here's hoping that the 1971 Boston concert and the 1972 Rochester, Minnesota show will be issued in full one of these days.

Wouldn't there be a possibility for another Mosaic Select, collecting all the Impulse trio material? Seems only Yale has appeared completely (on the "Trio Live" CD which I'm spinning right now).