What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

0109246.jpg,

Frank Wess - Yo Ho! Poor You, Little Me, a Frankenstein's monster of an issue - a yellow-and-black label Prestige mono record in a cover that has a Status back and a Prestige front with a Status sticker stuck over the Prestige logo. The spine still reads Prestige. In any case, it's a really excellent album.

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The new mono pressing of the first Hendrix US lp from Sony Legacy. A beautiful pressing, 200g, flat as a board. Not a great sounding disc, especially side 1, but it never was. Sure is fun to hear though, I'll be playing this a lot. Different mixes than the stereo.

jimi_hendrix_experienced_mono.jpg

Don Ellis ~ New Ideas

Prestige

DonEllisNewIdeas.jpg

Never saw that cover before. Different from the old LP I used to have or the CD I have now. Evidently changed to cash in on his Columbia popularity.

Just picked this up in mint condition at a thrift for $1.50. From what I read it's a 70's reissue. Nice sounding vinyl. I'm already familiar with the material. Great stuff.

I remember when he wrote a column for Down Beat in the 1960's. I believe he told a story about a guy hearing a record on a juke box and wanting to have it so badly that he broke the glass cover on the juke box and took the record. I may have misremembered it to some degree, but the gist of the story and the idea of that guy wanting to have the record has stuck with me.

Max Kaminsky, I believe. Greil Marcus memorably used this story in his put-down review of Dylan's Self Portrait in Rolling Stone: "Kaminsky had to have that record. Would anyone say they had to have this record? No."

Don Ellis ~ New Ideas

Prestige

DonEllisNewIdeas.jpg

Never saw that cover before. Different from the old LP I used to have or the CD I have now. Evidently changed to cash in on his Columbia popularity.

Just picked this up in mint condition at a thrift for $1.50. From what I read it's a 70's reissue. Nice sounding vinyl. I'm already familiar with the material. Great stuff.

Originally on New Jazz, IIRC. Quite individual vibes work from Al Francis, who in the mid-1980s made a fine trio record "Jazz Bohemia Revisited "on an obscure label Lost Cosmic Unity with bassist John Neves and drummer Joe Hunt. And here it is, mirable dictu:

http://www.myspace.com/jazzbohemia

Don Ellis ~ New Ideas

Prestige

DonEllisNewIdeas.jpg

Originally on New Jazz, IIRC. Quite individual vibes work from Al Francis, who in the mid-1980s made a fine trio record "Jazz Bohemia Revisited "on an obscure label Lost Cosmic Unity with bassist John Neves and drummer Joe Hunt. And here it is, mirable dictu:

http://www.myspace.com/jazzbohemia

One of my all time favorites, that Ellis record. I have it on the New Jazz pressing.