• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

220px-Kansascity6.jpg

I see it's Basie time for you too, John. I've just been giving this a listen:

41-81nAWVNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Cook and Morton prefer the later small group Basie sessions with big names like Lockjaw and Hubbard, but I think that Kansas City 6 date with Willie Cook and Cleanhead takes some beating.

220px-Kansascity6.jpg

Cook and Morton prefer the later small group Basie sessions with big names like Lockjaw and Hubbard, but I think that Kansas City 6 date with Willie Cook and Cleanhead takes some beating.

220px-Kansascity6.jpg

Yes, Bill, over the last month or so I've made it a little project to listen to all my Basie sides, with particular attention to LP's (and still a ways to go because I can't listen to one artist straight through, not even Basie). I'll tell you those latter-day Basie Pablo dates are mighty enjoyable (despite the sloppy Granz productions which often fail to identify soloists and arrangers). Sound is usually good, though.

That Kansas City 6 date is notable for some fine playing by Cook, Cleanhead Vinson and especially NHOP, who weighs in with some really heavy and gutsy bass work, quite different from his style with say, Oscar Peterson.

My next Basie LP later this afternoon is :

Count Basie and His Orchestra - "The Count in England -The Great 1959 Band in Concert" (Jazz Groove) - can't find an image for it on the 'net.

Edited by John Tapscott

220px-Kansascity6.jpg

>>>>

220px-Kansascity6.jpg

Yes, Bill, over the last month or so I've made it a little project to listen to all my Basie sides, with particular attention to LP's (and still a ways to go because I can't listen to one artist straight through, not even Basie). I'll tell you those latter-day Basie Pablo dates are mighty enjoyable (despite the sloppy Granz productions which often fail to identify soloists and arrangers). Sound is usually good, though.

That Kansas City 6 date is notable for some fine playing by Cook, Cleanhead Vinson and especially NHOP, who weighs in with some really heavy and gutsy bass work, quite different from his style with say, Oscar Peterson.

My next Basie LP later this afternoon is :

Count Basie and His Orchestra - "The Count in England -The Great 1959 Band in Concert" (Jazz Groove) - can't find an image for it on the 'net.

This is probably it, albeit microscopic:

R-150-2013263-1258541290.jpeg

Wonder where it was recorded. Saw the Basie band in the Free Trade Hall, Manchester late in 1959. Sat on the front row and was blown away! :excited:

Edited by BillF

Yes Bill, that's it. The LP notes don't tell where the concert was recorded. It does include a schedule of concerts, though. You attended the Basie concert on Saturday Feb. 21, 1959 at Manchester: Free Trade Hall, some 54 years ago. You must have been a lad in knee-pants!

I love the photo on the LP cover. Basie band on stage and wailing with not a page of music in sight anywhere! Now that's when a band is tight!

Decided to listen to this one first. The Big Band is up next.

Count-Basie-Basie-Jam---180gm-429041.jpg

Edited by John Tapscott

Toshiko Akiyoshi/Lew Tabackin Big Band - Road Time (RCA).

toshiko-akiyoshi-toshiko-akiyoshi-lew-ta

That's a great 2 LP set Kevin. Never been on CD, at least in North America, as far as I know. I am very lucky. I "inherited" a Japanese pressing of this album years ago from a dear jazz friend who passed away. Will have to join you in giving it a listen very soon.

Yes Bill, that's it. The LP notes don't tell where the concert was recorded. It does include a schedule of concerts, though. You attended the Basie concert on Saturday Feb. 21, 1959 at Manchester: Free Trade Hall, some 54 years ago. You must have been a lad in knee-pants!

Fascinating, John! I was 19 at the time - in my first year at Manchester University. I and a friend sat on the front row a few feet in front of the saxophone section and I recall Frank Foster laughing at my "sent" reaction to the band. Marshall Royal seemed very smooth, frequently turning round and giving cues to the band. Anchorman Charlie Fowlkes was a very heavily built guy who looked like he was going to burst out of his band uniform pants! I remember Joe Newman and Frank Wess running out to the front for "Midgets" and the program included lots of items from the Atomic Mr Basie album. Those were the days!

Toshiko Akiyoshi/Lew Tabackin Big Band - Road Time (RCA).

toshiko-akiyoshi-toshiko-akiyoshi-lew-ta

That's a great 2 LP set Kevin. Never been on CD, at least in North America, as far as I know. I am very lucky. I "inherited" a Japanese pressing of this album years ago from a dear jazz friend who passed away. Will have to join you in giving it a listen very soon.

Yeah, it is pretty intense. I particularly like the track "Kogun" with the traditional Japanese sounds added into the big band.

Now playing: Pepper Adams/Frank Foster - Generations (Muse).

058268.jpg