wolff

What vinyl are you spinning right now??

45,019 posts in this topic

Azar Lawrence - Bridge Into the New Age. As far into spiritual soul jazz as I wander - non vocal tracks are quite fine. Jean Carn continus to do nothing for me.

Yes Bill, that's it. The LP notes don't tell where the concert was recorded. It does include a schedule of concerts, though. You attended the Basie concert on Saturday Feb. 21, 1959 at Manchester: Free Trade Hall, some 54 years ago. You must have been a lad in knee-pants!

I love the photo on the LP cover. Basie band on stage and wailing with not a page of music in sight anywhere! Now that's when a band is tight!

Decided to listen to this one first. The Big Band is up next.

Count-Basie-Basie-Jam---180gm-429041.jpg

Edited by John Tapscott

Toshiko Akiyoshi/Lew Tabackin Big Band - Road Time (RCA).

toshiko-akiyoshi-toshiko-akiyoshi-lew-ta

That's a great 2 LP set Kevin. Never been on CD, at least in North America, as far as I know. I am very lucky. I "inherited" a Japanese pressing of this album years ago from a dear jazz friend who passed away. Will have to join you in giving it a listen very soon.

Yes Bill, that's it. The LP notes don't tell where the concert was recorded. It does include a schedule of concerts, though. You attended the Basie concert on Saturday Feb. 21, 1959 at Manchester: Free Trade Hall, some 54 years ago. You must have been a lad in knee-pants!

Fascinating, John! I was 19 at the time - in my first year at Manchester University. I and a friend sat on the front row a few feet in front of the saxophone section and I recall Frank Foster laughing at my "sent" reaction to the band. Marshall Royal seemed very smooth, frequently turning round and giving cues to the band. Anchorman Charlie Fowlkes was a very heavily built guy who looked like he was going to burst out of his band uniform pants! I remember Joe Newman and Frank Wess running out to the front for "Midgets" and the program included lots of items from the Atomic Mr Basie album. Those were the days!

That's a great 2 LP set Kevin. Never been on CD, at least in North America, as far as I know. I am very lucky. I "inherited" a Japanese pressing of this album years ago from a dear jazz friend who passed away. Will have to join you in giving it a listen very soon.

Yeah, it is pretty intense. I particularly like the track "Kogun" with the traditional Japanese sounds added into the big band.

Now playing: Pepper Adams/Frank Foster - Generations (Muse).

058268.jpg

Front.jpg

Maarten Altena Quartet- Miere- (nato) 1983 . Chamber free date with Wolter Wierbos on trombone ( he was the only name I'd heard of when I picked this up).

The Dave Brubeck Quartet ~ Bossa Nova USA
Columbia
DaveBrubeckBossaNovaUSA.jpg

Forgot about that one. I have it on vinyl........but it's boxed up in the closet

Jimi-Hendrix-Band-Of-Gypsys-2-417619.jpg

Azar Lawrence - Bridge Into the New Age. As far into spiritual soul jazz as I wander - non vocal tracks are quite fine. Jean Carn continus to do nothing for me.

I'm with you on Jean Carn. Azar never did much for me either.

Count-Basie-I-Told-You-So-363087.jpg

I have that album, John, but never thought the Holman arrangements sounded quite right with Basie. For Basie of that period, I much prefer listening to the Sammy Nestico albums.

Andrew Hill 'Spiral' (Arista/Freedom)

hill_andrew_spiral~~~_101b.jpg

Milt-Jackson-Milt-Jackson-Ray-446567.jpg

Milt Jackson/Ray Brown Jam - Pablo (UK)

058465.jpg

Inez Andrews - The need of prayer - Songbird (Vogue)

MG

Masahiko Sato/Gary Peacock/Motohiko Hino - Samadhi - (Toshiba Express)

Wes Montgomery

Echoes of Indiana Avenue