• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Those early 70s Vanguards can be really excellent. Whilst the rest of the industry was going to the dogs and issuing inferior pressings on thin vinyl, these guys kept their standards up.

If you are talking about US pressings, they were manufactured by Columbia in the NJ and Indiana plants.

Thanks for the information. Have just checked the Jo Jones. Yes, it's rechanelled for stereo. Not US though, it would seem to be a French Musidisc pressing. Same operation released the Prestige twofers over in Europe too.

Jazz In Transition - Transition label.

Personel:

Donald Byrd

Art Blakey

Horace Silver

Doug Watkins

Joe Gordon

Dave Coleman

Dick Wetmore

Herb Pomeroy

Paul Chambers

Philly Joe Jones

John Coltrane

Pepper Adams

Curtis Fuller

Jay Migliori

Tommy Ball

Sun Ra

Cecil Taylor

Sonny Clark: Sonny’s Crib (Classic Records)

Lester Young:: The President Plays With

The Oscar Pederson Trio (Speaker’s Corner)

Ry Cooder & Manuel Galban: Mambo Sinuendo (Waiting for his new one, Chavez Ravine to get the vinyl treatment)

The Complete Atlantic Recordings of Lennie Tristano, Lee Konitz & Warne Marsh (10 Q-LPs) Mosaic Records

Have just checked the Jo Jones. Yes, it's rechanelled for stereo. Not US though, it would seem to be a French Musidisc pressing.

what's why I'm glad to have a Mono button on my amp.

At the risk of admitting that I know very little about turntable technology, could you explain what a separate mono does?? I have looked and I don't have such a setting. I wonder how having one would enhance my listening pleasure. Right now I'm listening to a mono 2 record set of Tommy Dorsey's hits from the mid-thirties through the mid-forties. The sound is coming through both amp sets and all the instruments are clearly audible. What would a mono setting do that my sound system [about thirty years old] doesn't already do??

I simply have a mono button on my integrated amp, which makes the output of each stereo speaker the same, handy for getting rid of weird stereo effects and sometimes makes mono LPs sound as if they have less surface noise ( no idea why)

Edited by Clunky

Baker/Mulligan - Fantasy 2LP- comp. of Mulligan/Baker sides from 1953, Mulligan Plays Mulligan from 1951 and four tracks of Chet's hardbop things for Prestige from 1965. Great sound

Louis Armstrong 1930- LA sessions- pretty mellow stuff, some of it amazingly commercial ( well amazing to me for 1930 !!)

Spinning two albums which I was happy to locate while continuing to clear the mess of part of my vinyls section:

Cannonball Adderley 'Cannonball Adderley In Europe' Riverside mono original with foldout cover plus a four-page insert about Cannonball and about the Comblain festival founder Joe Napoli

next:

Tete Montoliu 'Temas Latinoamericanos' (Ensayo)

Spinning two albums which I was happy to locate while continuing to clear the mess of part of my vinyls section:

For some reason, I do not see even part of your collection being in disarray. :D

Seems like a very unique Cannonball LP.

Spinning....Lee Morgan: Candy (Classic Records) One nice reissue!!! Very thick stock cover, tip on jacket with film laminate on the cover , deep groove label. If it was not so new looking, I'd swear it was an original from '57 or so. :) And, the music that eminates from the grooves is......need I say it?