Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The+Price+You+Got+To+Pay+To+Be+Free.jpg

The Capitol Adderleys have been shamefully neglected on CD.

Max Roach +4 = Newport (deep groove Mercury). I still can't get into Draper's tuba solos. They just don't sound... musical?

One album-note writer put it nicely - it was early days for jazz tuba.

I think it's like seeing an elephant dancing - it's not that it's dancing gracefully, but you're supposed to admire that it's dancing at all.

rampartstre_dixieland_101b.jpg

Rampart Street Paraders - Dixieland, My Dixieland (Columbia 6-eye mono). Okay, I already feel defensive about posting that I'm listening to this 1954 dollar-bin find. But it's pretty good. I bought it because among the personnel are two of my favorite dixieland/swing musicians: Eddie Miller and George Van Eps, and I knew that the others were solid players. And the album is solid mainstream/dixieland, and occasionally more than that. A dollar well spent.

This morning

PFOR_F9022S__48014__01152009122552-4520.

Buddy Johnson - Go ahead and rock - Roulette

Buddy's last album, a couple of years before he died. Mosty re-recordings of his earlier material but some new gems.

Recent posting here reminded me I hadn't listened to this in a good while

FD0FFF5990B04A23817B48A687AFEBF2.jpg

The Jack Wilson Quartet - Atlantic (Discovery)

MG

Rampart Street Paraders - Dixieland, My Dixieland (Columbia 6-eye mono). Okay, I already feel defensive about posting that I'm listening to this 1954 dollar-bin find. But it's pretty good. I bought it because among the personnel are two of my favorite dixieland/swing musicians: Eddie Miller and George Van Eps, and I knew that the others were solid players. And the album is solid mainstream/dixieland, and occasionally more than that. A dollar well spent.

This may be in the Eddie Condon Mob Sessions Mosaic? I like the Paraders material in there. Nice sound too.

This may be in the Eddie Condon Mob Sessions Mosaic? I like the Paraders material in there. Nice sound too.

Indeed it is - and I had no idea. That looks like a good set, although I have much of the material on vinyl.

1204722691_cover.jpg

George Shearing - Satin Affair (Capitol mono). I should be in bed, but I'm still high after the gig. Desmond Egan was in the audience and apparently really enjoyed it - particularly, he said, our version of Ornette's "Mob Job."

So I'm listening to this wonderful, corny album from the dollar bin - Shearing and Co. with string arrangements by Billy May. It sounds pretty good in the wee hours of the morning.