What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

king_morgan_winterofm_101b.jpg

Morgana King - The Winter of My Discontent (Ascot mono). A 1964 recital of Alec Wilder songs. The title song is one of my two or three favorite Wilder pop songs.

I made an instrumental lead sheet (without lyrics) of "Blackberry Winter" a few days ago for a rehearsal. Something struck me - without the lyrics, it doesn't look like a pop song. The range, intervals, and all those 16th notes make it look like a page from a contemporary classical sonata.

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

190367758262.jpg

Alec Wilder - Octets (Mercury). A very early 10" LP - 1949 pressing (with a paper sleeve) of 1947 recordings. Wilder's octets are intriguing musically - poised somewhere between jazz, pop, and classical. And I love the odd titles he gave them; my favorite here is "Jack, This Is My Husband." Lots of layers there.

bobbyhackett345251.jpg

Bobby Hackett - Soft Lights and Bobby Hackett (Capitol 10"). I have a strange affection for Bobby Hackett's mood music LPs. Lou Stein is the pianist here; it amuses me that the rest of the rhythm section (Billy Bauer, Arnold Fishkin, Denzil Best) once recorded as Lennie Tristano's rhythm section.

Don Sickler, Jimmy Heath, Cedar Walton etc. 'The Music of Kenny Dorham' (Uptown)

$(KGrHqFHJFIFCOPgddwOBQpsGpF+Vw~~60_12.J

Nice date! That's a different cover from the CD. Is there any different material?

Looks like the Reservoir CD has one track - 'Blue Lament' - which is not on the LP. Otherwise the tracks are the same. Yes, very nice session recorded at Rudy Van Gelder's.

190367758262.jpg

Alec Wilder - Octets (Mercury). A very early 10" LP - 1949 pressing (with a paper sleeve) of 1947 recordings. Wilder's octets are intriguing musically - poised somewhere between jazz, pop, and classical. And I love the odd titles he gave them; my favorite here is "Jack, This Is My Husband." Lots of layers there.

I recall reading about the octet 50 or more years ago when I first got into jazz. I was intrigued by the article but I''ve never heard the group. Something to remedy.

190367758262.jpg

I recall reading about the octet 50 or more years ago when I first got into jazz. I was intrigued by the article but I''ve never heard the group. Something to remedy.

Recordings of the original Wilder-led group are hard to come by these days, since the CD reissue of Frank Sinatra Conducts Alec Wilder album is now out of print and fetching collectors' prices. There are a couple of CDs containing recent recordings of Wilder's octet music along with other Wilder compositions, such as this one by the Manhattan Chamber Orchestra:

512A3ZNAJ1L._SY300_.jpg

bobbyhackett345251.jpg

Bobby Hackett - Soft Lights and Bobby Hackett (Capitol 10"). I have a strange affection for Bobby Hackett's mood music LPs. Lou Stein is the pianist here; it amuses me that the rest of the rhythm section (Billy Bauer, Arnold Fishkin, Denzil Best) once recorded as Lennie Tristano's rhythm section.

Those Tristano-ites got around a bit. I have British Tristano disciples Ronnie Ball and Peter Ind on disc with Buddy Rich's group.

190367758262.jpg

Recordings of the original Wilder-led group are hard to come by these days, since the CD reissue of Frank Sinatra Conducts Alec Wilder album is now out of print and fetching collectors' prices. There are a couple of CDs containing recent recordings of Wilder's octet music along with other Wilder compositions, such as this one by the Manhattan Chamber Orchestra:

512A3ZNAJ1L._SY300_.jpg

I know, last time I looked, admittedly a while ago now, there was nothing.

This evening

140.jpg

Earl Bostic & his alto sax no 2 - King (Parlophone 10") (Ripped sleeve - done by my daughter when she was 2yo) Lovely music though.

hotdoggettfr2.jpg

Bill Doggett - Hot Doggett - King (Odeon France)

$(KGrHqR,!hQFBocch14jBQiSNE)gjg~~60_58.J

The Harmonizing Four - Where he leads me - Gotham (Hob) Beautiful stuff from 1950-55

Now

rwbm.jpg

Randy Weston - Blue Moses - CTI (Pye UK)

This always, but every time, makes me feel fantastic! It's the arrangements, I'm sure, and I'm not really partial to Sebesky generally, but this....

MG

The WIlliams Brothers/The Jackson Southernaires (1 side each) - With you in mind - Songbird (MCA) (No image on web)

64437161_m.jpg

Sonny Stiff - Primitivo soul - Prestige (blue label stereo)

Now

114690637.jpg

Ramsey Lewis - Goin' Latin - Cadet (Chess UK mono)

Next up

51s2K4T2%2B9L._SL500_SS500_.jpg

Gospelaires - Camp meeting - Peacock (ABC)

MG