Happy Birthday Larry Kart!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does she obsess over all her cooking the way she does the chocolate cake?

Actually, no. As someone who is a very good cook explained to me, cooking and baking are two very different worlds/mind sets. That may be why most upscale restaurants have a chef and a baked goods person (whatever the term for the latter is).

Yeah, baking is chemistry above all else, pure and simple. Cooking is much less tied to the empirical.

I don't get the impression from my friend the chocolate-cake fanatic that the above is true. Her approach -- and I've observed her at it -- is highly empirical; nothing comes out quite the same twice. I'll ask my chef friend to explain what he thinks the differences are.

All the bakers in my life tell me that the proportions of ingredients are crucial to a successful outcome due to the chemistry involved, much more so than with meats and vegetables and asphalt and such.

Same thing holds true for the mixing and the oven temp and the pan-greasing and all that...even things like altitude and humidity come into play. It's one giant ongoing chemical reaction, baking is. Of course, all cooking is to one extent or another, but there are people who bake well, people who cook well, and not all that many who do both equally well. It's a knack!

That's just what they tell me, though. It might be one giant chain-yank, but it seems logical on the surface, the whole "chemistry" thing. I mean, you start throwing around with stuff like baking powder, you got some science class stuff right off the bat!

• 4 years later...
1 hour ago, JSngry said:

What did you have to eat? Anything celebratory? 

Delicious skirt steak with mashed potatoes and crinkly fried onions at a local restaurant that's been around since 1947 -- a place with veteran waitresses (though not the original ones), red leather booths, and a central bar area where I assume some elders start drinking at 5 p.m. and are poured out at closing time. They brought me a hot slice of apple pie a la mode gratis with two candles ( a "7" and a "4") on top for dessert. My stepson had an anchovy pizza, my wife had scallops with pasta.

• 11 months later...