Happy Birthday Larry Kart!

Sixty-four years ago, I think, on my birthday,  I got my parents to take me to the Blue Note to hear the Woody Herman Band. Woody had six trumpets that night (one guy coming in, another about to move on,  probably). We got there early and sat at a front table at my request. The band tore into its first number, and my mother said, "Can we move back?"

I remember some of the band. Tenor soloist was Jay Migliori, Cy Touff on bass trumpet; I thought Cy was terrific, still do. Lead trumpeter was a vet whose name escapes me right now, a San Francisco-area guy.  Right, Johhny Coppola.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, JSngry said:

To where, Iowa (or wherever she was from)?

Happy Birthday, and don't relocate anytime soon, ok?

She was from Chicago but just meant a table in (at the least) the middle of the room. As most of us know from experience, there's nothing like one's first in-person encounter with a good big band in full flight. This was the latter-day Third Herd, maybe re-formed after Woody cut down to an octet that played Vegas and made a nice album "Jackpot!" (Capitol). I recall being disappointed at the time that Bill Perkins wasn't on the band, but Jay Migliori (from Boston) was a fine player.

9 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

As most of us know from experience, there's nothing like one's first in-person encounter with a good big band in full flight.

Yes, mine was with the Basie band in the autumn (fall) of 1958 in the Free Trade Hall, Manchester. (Yes, that venue again!) I was on the front row, a few feet in front of the saxophone section. I remember Frank Foster laughing at my "sent" antics and the overweight Charlie Fowlkes looked to be bursting out of his pants. This was't too long after The Atomic Mr Basie and the band were in sensational form. I recall Joe Newman and Frank Wess running down to the front for "Midgets". Sonny Payne frequently threw the sticks in the air and once missed them on the way down!

1 hour ago, BillF said:

Yes, mine was with the Basie band in the autumn (fall) of 1958 in the Free Trade Hall, Manchester. (Yes, that venue again!) I was on the front row, a few feet in front of the saxophone section. I remember Frank Foster laughing at my "sent" antics and the overweight Charlie Fowlkes looked to be bursting out of his pants. This was't too long after The Atomic Mr Basie and the band were in sensational form. I recall Joe Newman and Frank Wess running down to the front for "Midgets". Sonny Payne frequently threw the sticks in the air and once missed them on the way down!

21st Feb 1959 according to the Good Book. There are a number of photos of that gig included, including of Fowlkes, Newman and Wess.

Birthday Greetings Larry K. !

Edited by sidewinder