***Captain Beefheart***

Jad

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 10 months later...

My copy of Bat Chain Puller just arrived today from the Barfko-Swill site. Though you couldn't tell from the site, this is a nice package. It has an elaborate booklet containing pieces of Don's artwork and extensive notes by John French and Denny Walley, along with a heartfelt note by Gail. The disc has the 12 original tracks, plus an alternate mix of the track BCP, Candle Mambo, and an 8-minute performance by Don and Denny Walley of their co-written "Hobo-Ism." Sound quality is very good, which is to be expected since it was made from the original master tapes. The only caveat is the cost: with shipping, it came to $28. Still, I'm glad I got it.

My copy of Bat Chain Puller just arrived today from the Barfko-Swill site. Though you couldn't tell from the site, this is a nice package. It has an elaborate booklet containing pieces of Don's artwork and extensive notes by John French and Denny Walley, along with a heartfelt note by Gail. The disc has the 12 original tracks, plus an alternate mix of the track BCP, Candle Mambo, and an 8-minute performance by Don and Denny Walley of their co-written "Hobo-Ism." Sound quality is very good, which is to be expected since it was made from the original master tapes. The only caveat is the cost: with shipping, it came to $28. Still, I'm glad I got it.

There's really a site called Barfko-Swill?

Do you have a link? :crazy:

It's the Zappa Family website and emporium:

Barfko-Swill

It's the Zappa Family website and emporium:

Barfko-Swill

Thanks - I think. :tophat::mellow::ph34r:

Listening to Bat Chain Puller some more...I really like it. I think I'm in love with it. If this had come out in 1977 as expected, it would have really revived his career. It flows very well as an album; has a ruminative aspect to it. Makes more sense than Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) - in contrast, that sounds harsher, more forced. One big difference is that Drumbo is all over this one; I think he really brought a cohesiveness. This sounds like the same artist that made Trout Mask - a little older, a little wiser, but still the same guy. A pleasure to listen to; I highly recommend it.

• 1 month later...

I have both, and actually like the Shiny Beast more (except that I have to crank up the bass on it), if only for 'Tropical Hot Dog Night'. And you have Bruce Fowler there.

Meanwhile, I have read an excellent Beefheart biography by Mike Barnes - it's really well written, and gives quite a comprehensive overview of Van Vliet's personality and music. Sad and hilarious at times, it also devotes quite a bit of space to love-hate (but mostly love) relationship between Beefheart and Zappa.

Credit to Mr Barnes for keeping it updated (my Kindle version is the third revised edition since the initial release in 2001).

barnesbook_2ndedn.jpg

Couple of my favorite Beefheart videos:

Excellent live performance from 1971: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=4DSWY7cvSBI

And to demonstrate what a phenomenal voice he had - here is him singing old blues called 'Black Snake' a cappella on radio (love his comment in the end that he just can't sing into the microphone because 'it's too little' :) ): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3Hmj69c0yA

Edited by Д.Д.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Anyone know anything about OCTA#GRAPE?

FB profile:

About

globby glob songs with fur amps

Basic Info

Joined Facebook 11/29/2011

Release Date nOWmOREtHANeVER2012

Genre hazy rabbits foot jams

Members:

amp fur - Galaxalag

tambourine bandit vocal - Antarctica

keystrokes - Sister Brotherfight

drumbo - Mama's Kisses

Hometown san diego

Record Label holy kiss rex

General Manager John French

Current Location san diego

• 2 months later...

Interesting. It's been out on Reprise all these years (afaik, it's never been out of print). I wonder about the legalities.

I guess the ZFT has that sorted out. Either they have the right or a legal team powerful enough to fight it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Trout Mask arrived today from the ZFT. I compared one track (Moonlight On Vermont) to the Reprise CD, and the new release sounds much more vivid and punchy. On another, Ella Guru, the bass just whacks you upside the head! Listening now to Hair Pie: Bake 1, and the clarity is stunning. The packaging is very similar to the Reprise CD. Gail added a note: "The years in storage in Warners were not kind to Trout Mask Replica. The masters seriously suffer from oxide loss, primarily at the head of each of the four master reels. Fortunately, FZ had Dick Kunc make "safeties." These actually sound better than the Originals and are in excellent condition but alas, incomplete. This edition of Trout Mask Replica is from the ZFT Vault protection copies, transferred at 96K 24B, except for Frownland and Hair Pie: Bake 2 which are from the original damaged master tapes transferred to direct stream digital at UMRK." That must mean ZFT is in possession of the Reprise tapes, clearly resolving any question of copyright ownership. On the intriguing side, the new release clocks in at 78:54, while the Reprise CD totaled 79:05; why the difference? Finally, the ZFT disc wouldn't play in my Marantz CD deck; I had to make a disc copy using Toast. I hope Gail doesn't sue me for making a copy!

(edited to correct typo)

Edited by mjzee

I do think that's a shame. Reprise never let it go out of print and it was widely available, which meant people could be exposed to it (witness all the befuddled reviews on Amazon). Now, who's gonna know to go to the ZFT website?

• 7 months later...