• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showb...ticle707093.ece

Zep ace no fan of new music

VETERAN LED ZEPPELIN rocker ROBERT PLANT doesn’t have a Whole Lotta Love for all this new music nonsense.

And the grumpy singer made his feelings well known in a bar in Camden, North London, last week.

Wrinkly Robert showed his age with the rant at two of the world’s biggest bands as they were played over the stereo at Fifty Five Bar.

He rubbished RADIOHEAD and the RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS — and then demanded to hear weirdo rocker CAPTAIN BEEFHEART instead.

A source said: “He was drinking with a woman and didn’t like the choice of tunes playing.

“Radiohead was on and he started complaining. He said, ‘What’s this rhyming c**p?’

“The staff were obviously keen to please him so they changed the music. They put on the Red Hot Chili Peppers, who they thought might be more up his street. But he didn’t like their stuff either and said it was like a ‘nursery rhyme.’

“He then said he wanted to listen to Captain Beefheart.”

Led Zep’s brilliant reunion at London O2 Arena last year won them a new generation of fans.

I was gutted when I had to miss it to watch the SPICE GIRLS launch their tour in America. But it seems Robert doesn’t have much time for modern-day musical heroes.

Okay, so he might not like po-faced Radiohead and I don’t think they and Led Zep have much in common.

The 1970s rockers travelled the world in their fuel-guzzling jet — while THOM YORKE’s lot would probably prefer transport fuelled by recycled teabags.

But comparing Chili tracks to nursery rhymes? Has old Percy finally lost the plot?

You’re unlikely to hear Beefheart — AKA DON VAN VLIET — in your average bar. He wrote strange songs with odd timings and surreal lyrics.

His best-known album was 1969’s Trout Mask Replica, considered a masterpiece by fans.

He recorded with his Magic Band and also collaborated with fellow oddball FRANK ZAPPA.

But if Radiohead and ANTHONY KIEDIS and the Chilis, are c**p, I would hate to hear what Robert has to say about most of the rest of the current chart. He obviously judges everyone by his own band’s high standards.

My source added: “Radiohead and the Chilis are two of the biggest and best groups in the world. But it seems they don’t compare to Beefheart in Plant’s mind.”

Edited by 7/4

• 2 months later...

This is the oddest Beefheart mention I've seen in a while. In the current (Spring 2008) issue of Travel + Leisure Family, there's an article titled "The United States of Snacks." It says "Turn your next road trip into a nosh fest! Brake at farm stands and convenience stores for the quirky tastes that put each region on the food map. Here, a sweet-and-salty sampler of our nation's standout nibbles." Check out the entry for California:

AbbaZaba.jpg

Also, does the border around the candy bar match the border around the back cover of Safe As Milk?

at the risk of unleashing the wrath of Clementine (and everybody else here), I gotta say that I find Beefheart a one-time-listen. Once you hear what he has/had to say, everything else appears to be a re-hash. He seems to me the epitome of what I have complained about ad-nauseum, something which I have called, in the past, formalism, but which is really an obsession with process that characterized a lot of "new" music - as though once you have solved the problem of form and basic technique, the rest is random - and not that Beefheart is random, but that he has a limited idea of what to do with his own innovations - and by the way he's a terrible graphic artist -

Edited by AllenLowe

at the risk of unleashing the wrath of Clementine (and everybody else here), I gotta say that I find Beefheart a one-time-listen. Once you hear what he has/had to say, everything else appears to be a re-hash. He seems to me the epitome of what I have complained about ad-nauseum, something which I have called, in the past, formalism, but which is really an obsession with process that characterized a lot of "new" music - as though once you have solved the problem of form and basic technique, the rest is random - and not that Beefheart is random, but that he has a limited idea of what to do with his own innovations - and by the way he's a terrible graphic artist -

bah.

Once you hear what he has/had to say, everything else appears to be a re-hash. ... not that Beefheart is random, but that he has a limited idea of what to do with his own innovations...

Not necessarily to compare the two too deeply, but the same could be said about Monk, cumulatively, applying one type of "objective perspective".

Trout Mask, Decals, and the later Virgin sides..."narrow", perhaps/probably, but also deep, if you have the inclination to go looking.