English Premier League wraps up

Well, it's all over but the crying now.

Arsenal undefeated! Truly an amazing feat!

Liverpool in 4th.

Wolves, Leicester and Leeds United gone.

My adopted team Fulham with a pretty good finish to finish 9th (highest ever for them)

Americans in the League-

Brian McBride finishes strong in the starting lineup for Fulham with 2 goals in the finale. Proving that he can be a force in the EPL. He had 5 goals with really fairly limited playing time. I'm not sure he's a good fit at Fulham however, they seem desperate to play with a lone striker and use breakaway speed to counter (ie Saha) but they really have the personel to play more of a build up game and McBride could play a big part in that. I hope Steed Malbranpue stays as he is a real talent.

Glad to see Tim Howard back starting for Man United. I'm not sure what happened for him to lose the spot in the first place.

Friedel is hurt I think, hope nothing too serious.

Edited by scottb

Arsenal rules. What a glorious feat. The trouble with an achievement like that is that there's no way to improve but only to go down. Enjoy while it lasts. Of course, they haven't lost since May of last year. Too bad the Mets can't say that. I'm going to England this summer and can't wait to see Highbury (even if it's closed).

Edited by Brad

I disagree, I think Arsenal could improve on this season. They only ended up with one piece of hardware despite this amazing achievement of no losses in league play. Next year they'll be gunning for the FA Cup and Champions League as well.

I think it will be great to watch them next year. I doubt they improve on the season (how could you?) but I think they'll make a run at "the treble."

Chelsea continues to amaze me. Did they pick up Smith from Leeds? How many strikers do they need? Why do they think the strikers are to blame for their situation? Gudjohnsen, Hasslebaink, Crespo, Mutu and now Smith? They obviously have the ingredients they just need to let the team alone and mature together instead of getting new players at every opportunity and disrupting the chemistry of the team.

I agree scottb, I think that ultimately it was actually a dissapointing season for Arsenal despite their achievment in the league. I feel they really thought this was their year in the Champions League and losing to Man United in the FA Cup semi final really hurt too. They really wanted to emulate United in doing the treble and this season was as good an opportunity as they are likely to get.

Well kudos to Arsenal for achieving an unbeaten record that prior to this had remained unmatched for 115 years in English soccer! :o

Most European leagues have or almost reached their season's end, but, soccer buffs can look forward to Euro 2004 in Portugal starting 12 June. B)

I Chelsea continues to amaze me. Did they pick up Smith from Leeds? How many strikers do they need? Why do they think the strikers are to blame for their situation? Gudjohnsen, Hasslebaink, Crespo, Mutu and now Smith? They obviously have the ingredients they just need to let the team alone and mature together instead of getting new players at every opportunity and disrupting the chemistry of the team.

The latest news over here seem to think that Smith is negotiating with Man U.

Mutu started very well for Chelsea but just seemed to fade away half way through the season & Crespo hasnt looked anything like the world class player he is all season.

i agree with you scottb. their elimination on the UEFA Champions League was so stupid and they need to clinch a title like this to have a better recognition.

they need a better goalkeeper, someone to play besides Campbell and a younger Bergkamp!!

Euro2004 is approaching fast and and my health will be seriously affected once again supporting my beloved team. the first game will be against England and if we lose again the first game as on the WC2002 who knows what will happen then...

who will clinch the UEFA cup tomorrow? i will support Marseille but i think Valencia will clinch this one...

Marcus

It's true; not winning more hardware is a disappointment but an incredible season they had. They just don't seem to do well in Europe. But with two league titles and 2 FA cups in the last 3 years, it's hard to complain. Has Chelsea fired Ranieri yet. I hope not. He's a class act. Perhaps if he's fired, Real Madrid will pick him because they are staggering to the finish line. It just shows that defense needs to be paid attention to. They were stupid to sell Makelele to Chelsea and not pay him his due. They're regretting that decision dearly.

Real just lost four consecutive league games for the first time in their history.

Arsenal - yep, first team to go through a season in the top division since Preston North End in 1885 (?) - well done - but they also blew the best chance to win the Champions League/European Cup they've ever had - a big shame because the two finalists are second-rate: Arsenal, Milan and Real should all be kicking themselves.

yeah.. a pity Barthez was sent off.

i don't think we´ll have a nice game as Porto plays very defensively and my hopes are focused on Morientes. he can be the winning factor for Monaco.

as far as i know, Real Madrid wants Camacho to be their new coach.

Marcus

Has Chelsea fired Ranieri yet.  I hope not.  He's a class act.  Perhaps if he's fired, Real Madrid will pick him because they are staggering to the finish line.

Raneri hasn't been sacked ,but the british press seem to think that its a done deal that the Porto boss will take over at Chelsea after the Champions league final.

All the paper talk this week is that Houllier will be saked by Liverpool at the end of the week to be replaced by Celtic boss Martin Oneill.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ool/3727487.stm

Edited by Gary

All the paper talk this week is that Houllier will be saked by Liverpool at the end of the week to be replaced by Celtic boss Martin Oneill.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ool/3727487.stm

Perhaps it's time Houllier let someone else do the job. After all, his record on signing on and firing (Nicholas Anelka for e.g.) players hasn't been that great. Also, perennial underperforming striker, Heskey's finally be sold off to Birmingham for 6.5m pounds.

I wonder if Kenny Dalglish will ever make a return as Liverpool coach?

If Arsenal were good this season , what will they be like with Morientes up front with Henry???

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...sea/3727335.stm

If the chemistry's there, they'll go far, very far. Promises to be a great team again next season, with Bergkamp still there for another year - albeit as a substitute.

i´m not saying Barthez shouldn't been sent off but there would be nice to know how the game would end with both teams complete.

and how about the game today? too many expectations and it wasn't a great match but Fifa seems happy after all...

Marcus

Wow - I didn't see this coming - I'm relly shocked :)

From BBC

Chelsea sack Ranieri

Chelsea have ended speculation about the future of manager Claudio Ranieri by confirming his dismissal.

The Italian's successor should be named within days, and Porto's Jose Mourinho is almost certain to get the job.

A Chelsea spokesperson said: "Claudio has done a first class job for the club and paved the way for future success.

"We would like to wish Claudio all the best for the future. We are discussing the exact terms of his departure with him and his representatives."

Ranieri had a contract until 2007 but had been tipped for the sack ever since Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich took control of the club last summer.

He maintained the support of the fans as he guided Chelsea to second in the Premiership, but it was not enough.

Ranieri was forced to endure constant questioning about his job last season.

Arrivederci Claudio, all the very best for your future, you are a great man

From Blues Brother

Have your say on 606

Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon made a much-publicised, but ultimately futile attempt to bring England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson to Stamford Bridge.

The attention then switched to Mourinho, overshadowing Ranieri's preparations for the Champions League semi-finals.

Defeat by Monaco effectively ended his hopes of staying at the club, although Chelsea achieved their highest league position for 49 years - second in the Premiership.

That meant they will not have to qualify for the Champions League next season.

Ranieri admitted he had said goodbye to his players after the 1-0 win over Leeds at Stamford Bridge on the final day of the season.

RANIERI'S CHELSEA RECORD

2000-01: 6th

2001-02: 6th, FA Cup r-up

2002-03: 4th

2003-04: 2nd

Photos from his reign

He had urged Abramovich to make a decision on his future then, saying: "I would like to finish my job here.

"I started this job, the house isn't finished yet, only the foundations and the ground floor."

Ranieri was appointed by former Chelsea chairman Ken Bates as Gianluca Vialli's successor in September 2000.

The club finished sixth in the Premiership in his first two seasons, and lost to Arsenal in the FA Cup final in 2002.

The Italian made light of Chelsea's financial problems to guide them back into the Champions League the following season.

But his failure to win a trophy after spending more than £100m of Abramovich's money last summer proved his undoing.

The 52-year-old former Valencia manager admitted recently that he would be keen to remain in the Premiership.

"I hope to come back, I work very well in England. I love the passion and atmosphere and would like to continue my job here," said Ranieri.