Unknown Female Musicians

cannonball-addict

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The above led me to the all-female band Diva. I'd not heard of them before - anybody know what they are like? The list contains just two aforementioned so judging by those the band must be good. Tommy Newsom a driving force?

Carol Chaikin - Sax (Alto)

Sherrie Maricle - Cymbals, Drums, Leader

Louise Baranger - Trumpet

Lollie Bienenfeld - Trombone

Lee Hill Kavanaugh - Trombone

Virginia Mayhew - Flute, Sax (Alto), Sax (Tenor)

Ingrid Jensen - Trumpet

Audrey Morrison - Trombone

Janice Friedman - Piano

Laura Dreyer - Sax (Tenor)

Mary Ann McSweeny - Bass

Liesl Sagartz - Trumpet

Sue Terry - Sax (Alto)

Claire Daly - Sax (Baritone)

c891024fp4m.jpg

Has anybody heard anything from Sumi Tonooka recently? She's a fine pianist, and I heard a stunning live set by her in the early 80's with a female vocalist. I've concluded, but not without slight doubt, that the vocalist was Rachelle Ferrell. She recorded for Candid and a couple indie labels.

• 5 months later...

Takana Miyamoto - a Japanese pianist living in Atlanta. She mostly works as musical director for vocalists like Rene Marie and Nnenna Freelon but also leads her own trio, playing intown and around the region. Has a group in Japan also. Sits in with some of the headlining acts that play the Churchill Grounds jazz club. Her CD Tree Song got some critical acclaim.

Edited by DTMX

Takana Miyamoto - a Japanese pianist living in Atlanta. She mostly works as musical director for vocalists like Rene Marie and Nnenna Freelon but also leads her own trio, playing intown and around the region. Has a group in Japan also. Sits in with some of the headlining acts that play the Churchill Grounds jazz club. Her CD Tree Song got some critical acclaim.

Oh shit! I saw her play some wacky keyboard/wind instrument with Nnenna that looked like it was made by Fischer Price.

She was really good.

Also just thought of a new chick named Hiromi Uehara who goes simply by Hiromi.

Oh shit! I saw her play some wacky keyboard/wind instrument with Nnenna that looked like it was made by Fischer Price.

That was her melodica (they all look like Fischer Price toys). She plays that, percussion, and organ in addition to piano. One night I saw her come into a club with a bag of percussion odds & ends. I don't think she played the melodica that night, but at one point the whole band was rattling percussion of some sort. She did play a mean Straight, No Chaser (on piano), though.

My brother has played with Rene Marie in Richmond, but I haven't heard her. Everyone there tells me she was amazing. I had forgotten. Good of you to bring this up!

My brother has played with Rene Marie in Richmond, but I haven't heard her. Everyone there tells me she was amazing. I had forgotten. Good of you to bring this up!

Better get "Vertigo" for yourself for Christmas then. Excellent stuff. The Jazz Standard disc is nice too.

Better get "Vertigo" for yourself for Christmas then. Excellent stuff. The Jazz Standard disc is nice too.

Rene is REALLY talented and her story is really interesting. She was a stay-at-home mom like Shirley Horn for many years and then when the kids were gone or at least able to take care of themselves, she started getting her singing back on track (it had been on hold since college).

I love her version of A Foggy Day.

• 4 weeks later...

She was really good.

Also just thought of a new chick named Hiromi Uehara who goes simply by Hiromi.

hey, cannonball. got two Hiromi albums for Christmas -- Brain (the latest) and Imaginary Mind. perhaps freddy knows something about improvisation, but this Japanese firecracker is hot. she has been called "Oscar Peterson on steroids." and such power! dang!

B-) freddy

Edited by freddydwight

• 2 years later...

Ingrid Jensen and Anat Cohen are indeed great players. Ingrid has a great warm, brassy tone that sometimes reminds me of Freddie Hubbard. She definitely deserves more recognition. If I ran the world, all female jazzers would get equal recognition with the men.

Ingrid is also member of the Maria Schneider Orchestra, also you can add her little sis' Christine who was and still is a great composer but is turning into a very fine sax player.

who is nnenna freelon?

http://www.nnenna.com/

yes, but can she sing?

You bet she can!

Seriously - I first heard her on T.S. Monk's big band tribute to his dad, where she outscatted Dianne Reeves, IMO - more guts and bite. I have bought most of her albums since and haven't been disappointed.

Try the first three on Columbia (oop but can be find used easily) - the Concords are nice but a bit more conceptualized.

Edited by mikeweil

I've heard her on two radio broadcasts - she's great, in my opinion:

pochettepetite.jpg

a_cd_uncaged.jpg

A 32 ans, « Uncaged » marque pour Sophie Alour une étape décisive et audacieuse de son itinéraire. Si elle apprend la clarinette dès l’âge de 13 ans dans une école municipale de Quimper, ce n’est toutefois qu’à 19 ans qu’elle découvre le saxophone, et décide de s’y consacrer. Quelques incursions dans des écoles de jazz comme le CIM ou l’IACP sont des entorses à une formation avant tout autodidacte.

Ces années d’apprentissage se concluent en 2000 par un passage à l’acte ambitieux, puisqu’elle participe à création du désormais légendaire Vintage Orchestra au sein duquel elle côtoiera entre autres Thomas Savy, Fabien Mary, Jerry Edwards et Yoann Loustalot. L’année suivante, Sophie Alour crée un sextet avec Stéphane Belmondo, et, toujours en 2001, joue aux côtés d’Olivier Zanot dans la formation Manita de Jean-Daniel Botta, avant d’intégrer d’un même élan le big-band de Christophe Dal Sasso et des frères Belmondo. Au sein de cette formation, elle enregistrera l’album « Ouverture » et se produira à Marciac, au Parc Floral, ainsi qu’une fois par mois au Sunset pendant plusieurs années.

Une nouvelle étape est franchie quand Rhoda Scott l’engage pour former en 2004 son quartet, au sein duquel elle va prochainement enregistrer. Lorsqu’elle ouvre, aux côtés de l’ambassadrice de l’orgue Hammond, le Festival de Vienne 2004 sur la grande scène, Sophie Alour commence à s’affirmer comme l’une des plus voix les plus prometteuses de sa génération.

Elle remporte ainsi la même année le Tremplin Jazz de Vannes, joue dans le big-band de Wynton Marsalis, et participe au projet chanté d’Aldo Romano.

L’année 2004 se conclut par l’enregistrement avec le guitariste Huggo Lippi d’une maquette qui, écoutée par le label Nocturne, aboutit à la production de son premier album en leader, « Insulaire », publié en 2005. L’accueil enthousiaste que la critique lui réserve en tant qu’instru- mentiste ne doit pas faire oublier que huit titres sur dix sont des compositions originales, et qu’Insulaire marque aussi l’avènement d’une brillante compositrice de thèmes inspirés et évocateurs.

Sophie Alour n’en continue pas moins son exploration de toutes les facettes du jazz actuel, et on la retrouve aussi bien sur le disque d’Alexandre Saada « Be where you are », que dans le Pepper Pils, le big-band électro de Benjamin Roy avec lequel elle enregistre l’album « DJ Killer ».

Tandis que ses prestations en club se multiplient devant un public toujours plus nombreux à la découvrir ou à la suivre de près, elle invite un soir des musiciens à jouer à ses côtés : Laurent Coq (piano), Karl Jannuska (batterie) et Yoni Zelnik (basse).

Ce soir-là, une rare alchimie se produit : une cohésion fusionnelle soude le groupe auquel il ne manque plus qu’un ingrédient iconoclaste pour expliquer la genèse d’Uncaged. Cet ingrédient, c’est le guitariste Sébastien Martel qui va l’apporter de la scène rock. Autant d’incitations à ne pas démêler ce qui, dans ce deuxième album relève encore de l’improvisation plutôt que de l’écriture. De la déclaration de guerre ou du récit de paix. Derrière le parfum sulfureux de dissidence contre des formes trop explorées, on décèle dans Uncaged une Sophie Alour aguerrie, tenant les promesses de son passé, et décuplant celles de son avenir.

("biography" taken from her website)

Guest Bill Barton

Ellen Powell is a talented bassist from northern Vermont.

Her website appears to be under contruction but already includes a cool story about her instrument and a music sample.

This link at SUNY Plattsburgh has a brief bio.

Edited by Bill Barton