Unknown Female Musicians

cannonball-addict

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 9 months later...

Ellen Powel is a great player -

Carmen Lundy, IMHO, could have been one of the real vocal stars of the music - BUT -

let us just saythat there were attitude issues (I briefly worked for her doing some booking in NYC in the 1970s; suffice to say that she still owes me money) -

if you want a little entertainment, ask Ellen Powell about Sheila jordan -

(a recurring problem with vocalists; they seem overly defensive sometimes, that they are not always technically knoweldgeable; hence they tend to engage in pre-emptive abuse)

Edited by AllenLowe

Guest Bill Barton

if you want a little entertainment, ask Ellen Powell about Sheila jordan...

It's nice to see another plug for my old friend Ellen. Have you played with her, Allen?

I did a few things with Ellen at a conference in Burlington, sometime maybe in the early 1990s - we were introduced by the late great pianist Andy Shapiro (the greatest synth player ever, I kid you not; he died of a brain tumor about 10 years ago) -

Edited by AllenLowe

Guest Bill Barton

Yes, Andy is a legend in Vermont. I didn't have a chance to hear him play many times, but those few occasions were memorable.

Ellen's performance with Sheila Jordan in the Discover Jazz Festival in Burlington a few years back was superb. As I recall it was around the same time (early 1990s) as you mentioned

Guest Bill Barton

Ellen Rowe is a fine jazz pianist in Ann Arbor, Mi and is a professor in the jazz dept at U of M..

And let's not forget Reptet's Samantha Boshnack.. She not only plays great but writes and arranges a lot of Reptet's music.

Yep! Sam is a brilliant writer and arranger and one hell of a trumpet player.

ccoleman_4t.jpg

I really enjoy pianist/composer Cecilia Coleman. I first heard her on live365.com (radio) which lead me to purchase 2-3 of her CDs on CD Baby and a couple more since. (3 are available in their ongoing $5 sale picks.) Whether in duet, trio or quintet, I like her style.

Cecilia Coleman bio link.

Edited by mikelz777

• 2 months later...

Ingrid Laubrock has a new release on Intakt that will be my next order:

51tk7iQ3NxL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Ingrid Laubrock:soprano and tenor saxophone

Liam Noble:piano

Tom Rainey:drums

Amazing how far she's come in ten years or so. Her first album was a pleasant, almost mainstream, affair but she'd moved right out into pure improvisation waters.