Elvin Jones Is On The Mountain

Guest donald petersen

Guest akanalog

this is a 1975 trio session led by elvin jones-gene perla is on bass and jan hammer, who is in great form, is on acoustic piano and electric keyboards.

i have a CD issue of this album by one-way records. might be tough to find now. not sure the original label for this session-P.M. i think. wish there was more P.M. stuff on CD....

today seems like a good day to offer my praise for this album-especially since most of the elvin talk is centering around the mosaic set.

this album is a lot more mellow than one might expect from a 1975 session with jan hammer as the lead voice. which is not to say it is a boring set-just more trio interplay going on than hammer just ripping those ultra fast minimoog lines.

i would still say the album has fusion elements and you can hear more of a rock thing going on in the compositions and rhythms used-so it is a good place to hear jones in a different context than usual-he isn't playing the kind of grooves which i associate with him (for example i guess on something like art peppers "the trip" or barney kessel's "feeling free")-though he does a nice job altering his approach a bit for this mostly electric trio session. jones stays in the background a lot and certainly does not hog the spotlight at all despite this being his session-he might only have one or two solos on the whole album.

hammer and perla wrote the tunes and they all have a nice sort of nostalgiac and sad quality to them-at least until the last song where everyone lets it rip and there is a nice part where perla drops out and jones and hammer just go at it.

so i would like to highly recommend this album-it is a great place to hear hammer and jones in slightly different contexts than you might be used to hearing them.

• 1 month later...
  • 14 years later...
2 hours ago, Shrdlu said:

I wish that Elvin had had a pianist on all of his Blue Note albums. I find sessions without a keyboard a bit on the dry side.

Different strokes for different folks - I love those piano-less sessions, and think what the bass players do on them are marvelous.  I admit they sound very different than the sessions with Corea or Hammer.

6 hours ago, felser said:

Different strokes for different folks - I love those piano-less sessions, and think what the bass players do on them are marvelous.  I admit they sound very different than the sessions with Corea or Hammer.

I really like Elvin's piano-less sessions too.  I just wish more of them had a front-line that wasn't two saxophones -- but rather one of the horns being a trumpet.  That one piano-less date with Lee Morgan is especially divine, and I wish there were more like it (with Lee, or maybe Woody Shaw, or Charles Tolliver even).

Reminds me that that Elvin piano-less quartet date with Lee has only ever been on CD once (iirc), and ONLY as part of the big Elvin Mosaic set.  I sure wish that particular session was available as a single.  It might be just about my favorite sessions from that entire (BIG!) box, among many good ones.

(Reminds me I don't ever listen to that Elvin Mosaic box way near enough either.)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2019 at 10:55 AM, felser said:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiUzv-3ypviAhWlT98KHfltASgQwqsBMAF6BAgIEAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D78ZoCM-E4Hg&usg=AOvVaw2_3ZrDj0uOiYf05fobgmIO