John Stubblefield Gravely Ill

JSngry

Feel free to move this to the Live forum if desired. I'm thinking it might get more profile here, but whatever.

http://www.ejazznews.com/modules.php?op=mo...order=0&thold=0

John Stubblefield Fundraiser June 2 at Sweet Rhythm in NYC

Posted by: editoron Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 07:24 AM

Affectionately known as “The Governor,” tenor saxophonist and composer JOHN STUBBLEFILD was born in Little Rock on February 4, 1945, Stub joined the Association for the Advancement of Creative Musicians (AACM) after moving to Chicago from Little Rock. He is an in-demand teacher, having lectured, led seminars, and organized workshops at many universities, colleges, and festivals, and worked with “the Jazzmobile.”

After moving to New York in 1971, he played with the Collective Black Artists big band and Mary Lou Williams. He was also in groups led by Charles Mingus, Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Orchestra, and Tito Puente. In 1972 he played a free jazz concert at Town Hall with Anthony Braxton and was featured with him on an album of the same name. In 1973 John recorded with Abdullah Ibrahim and worked with Miles Davis - and later recorded with him in 75.

His credits also include such major artists as The Mingus Big Band, Gil Evans, McCoy Tyner, World Saxophone Quartet, Kenny Barron, Freddie Hubbard, Nat Adderly, Jerry Gonzalez And The Fort Apache Band, and George Russell. Concert reviews attest that Stubblefield is a “powerful” and “irresistible” soloist who has stood out with such ensembles as the McCoy Tyner Big Band and the Mingus Dynasty Big Band.

While still young in Little Rock, he discovered Don Byas, the great tenor saxophonist with the Basie Band. Byas had married into a Little Rock family. Some years later after leaving Arkansas for Chicago, Stubblefield connected with the man he says is responsible for inspiring him to take up tenor. Another musical force in his life was another Arkansas resident William Grant Still. Although Still was a symphonist and chamber music composer, his themes are rooted in spirituals and blues; he was a master of clear melodic expression and deep feeling.

Stubblefield has had his own quartet since 1980, and his first album as a leader was Midnight Sun in 1976. In addition to dozens of albums and CDs as a sideman, he has ten releases as a leader with his most recent Morning Song in 1993.

This concert at Sweet Rhythm on June 2 is being done to raise funds for John Stubblefield who is hospitalized and gravely ill.

The John Stubblefield Fundraiser Wednesday, June 2nd, 2004

8pm - 11pm

Sweet Rhythm, 88 Seventh Avenue South (Bleeker/Grove)

Phone: 212-255-3626

Featuring: MINGUS DYNASTY / JOE LOVANO / GEORGE COLEMAN / KENNY BARRON

Host: TODD BARKAN

DONATION: $25

Stubblefield is one of the few well-known jazz artists I've had the pleasure of meeting personally and speaking with, after a McCoy Tyner Big Band show at the Blue Note in Greenwich Village. What a disarmingly kind, humble man he seemed! Plays an incredible tenor saxophone too, by the way...I am so sorry to hear that he's ill. Thanks for posting this, Jim.

Saw him live on one occasion with Louis Hayes and he was really excellent - Charles Tolliver was also in that band. Some good albums on Enja - 'Bushman's Song' is particularly recommended. Very sorry to hear that he is unwell, with best wishes to get well soon.

Edited by sidewinder

Stubblefield is one of my favorites. The recent Coda issue prompted me to pull out some recent Stubblefield that I have. Did not know he was ill. Maybe I will listen to some Mingus Big Band right now since that is all that I have in my office with me.

• 3 weeks later...

A benefit for saxophonist John Stubblefield took place last night, Wednesday June 2nd at Sweet Rhythm in New York City and it had to be one of the most thrilling evenings of music I think I ever heard and for such a good cause. The spiritual content, the giving of the music, the friends and family gathered was awe inspiring.

If you don't know, John has been in the hospital for a while, diagnosed with a very serious illness and this benefit was held to help him with his medical expenses. The jazz community was out in full force and it was a thing of beauty.

Todd Barken was the Host. At 8:15 he introduced Sue Mingus who said a few words about John and why we were all gathered then she introduced The Mingus Dynasty. Craig Handy, alto; Seamus Blake, tenor; Kenny Rampson (?sp), trumpet; Conrad Herwig, tbone; Orrin Evans, piano; Boris Koslov, bass (Mingus' lion headed instrument) and Donald Evans, drums.

Rousing versions of "Haitian Fight Song" "Sue's Changes" "Free Cell Block F" followed. Joe Lovano sat in for a reading of Mingus' "Moanin" He ripped the roof of the place. Seamus couldn't take his eyes off Joe during the entire solo and a big smile took over his entire face when it was over.

By 9:20 the Kenny Barron Sextet has taken over the stage. Gary Bartz, alto; Eddie Henderson, tpt and flugelhorn; Howard Johnson, muted trumpet; David Williams, bass and Nasheet Waits, drums.

I don't know the name of the first tune they played but it was smoking. During the next, Kenny's "Phantoms" Abraham Burton sat in and played strong tenor. Eric McPherson took over the drum chair and Lovano and Craig Handy came back to play Hank Mobley's "This I Dig of You" along with Burton and Henderson. With four horns in the front line one could see the bandstand being lifted off the floor. Unbelievable!

Wendy Oxenhorn from the Jazz Musicians Fund (I'm not sure of the exact name of the organization she heads to help musicians in similar circumstances) was holding a portable cassette recorder in the air to capture the music and ambience and many of us talked into it, sending John our messages of love and support and that we were all there and pulling for him.

It's 10:50 and Sonny Fortune takes the stage with George Cables, piano; David Williams held over on bass and Joe Chambers, drums.

First up is John Coltrane's "Impressions" Burning!

They kick off "A Night in Tunisia" and Andrew Cyrille has replaced Chambers. Andrew is wearing a white derby hat and during his solo played his FACE!! Literally, using his hands to slap his cheeks and open mouth for an incredible musical happening. Also on stage are Brian Lynch, trumpet along with Bill Saxton and Roland Alexander on tenors. Andy Bey comes out of nowhere and scats a few choruses before a round of eights then fours by the horns brought the house down.

Before you know it, they're off and Charli Persip has seated himself behind the drums. Bassist Ogonna Okegwo takes over. Lynch and Saxton stay on stage and pianist David Budway launch in to "Bye Bye Blackbird"

At five minutes before midnight Seamus Blake and Orrin Evans are back with Eric Revis, bass and Tain Watts to play a Monk piece. Good night!

Guitarist Peter Leitch is in the audience as is Becca Pulliam (JazzSet); Judi Silvano, Russ Musto, Richie Seidel. The place is jammed.

John's sister Joyce is in New York from her home down south to be with John while he's going through all of this. She was very moved by the show of support and by the music. She told us all that her brother is a fighter and he is determined to beat this illness.

We should all have him in our thoughts

If you would like, donations and kind wishes can be sent to:

John Stubblefield

163 Ludlow Street Apt #4B

New York City, NY 10002

As great as the evening was I hope we never have to do it again but if we do it was so gratifying to see such an outpouring of love and support for a valued member of our community.

Always Know,

Steve Schwartz

Jazz from Studio Four

Friday, 7p-midnight

WGBH 89.7FM, Boston

www.wgbh.org