Is Jackie McLean Black or White?

Peter

Wow, this is an old one indeed. Not sure I ever saw it or responded but I guess my comment would be what does it matter.

Oh, it could matter a lot in simple (or not so simple) human terms if Jackie sounded the way he did and was white, or if he sounded the way he did and got a lot of guff from other black guys about the way he looked, but we know the first isn't so, and I've never heard anything about him getting hassled on the second count.

It mattered to me in high school (small farming community in central Iowa). The Prestige records I had at the time used photos that were "one or the other" and he sounded unlike white players I had heard at the time. At that point in my life, when I was trying to figure out 1000 things, this was one.

Interesting (in a good way) to have this thread resurrected now.

Yes, I had that reaction, too, at the same time, especially to the cover of "Jackie McLean and Co." Before I knew the truth, it was intriguing to think that a white player could sound like that. Once I knew the truth, Jackie was just himself to me.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not even going to bring up Frank Strozier -

Actually when I started reading this thread now (had never noticed it before) the original question immediately made me think of Frank Strozier too. When I got that original copy of "Fantastic Frank Strozier" on VeeJay I was sort of puzzled about the cover pic as I had imagined him to be Black (O.K., a/a for those who prefer that term) but wasn't so sure about it anymore after seeing that cover.

Now what about Jackie McLean, then? What IS the common consensus or established knowledge, then? Can't we just cut out this P.C. or "being touchy" thing for a second and just give a factual answer? I mean, it is NOT something that values or valorizes anybody in any way these days anymore. It's just about stating a fact, one way or another. And haven't subjects such as this been discussed in the case of Creoles too? Without any P.C. qualms?

As for me, I've always guessed he falls in the same league as Kenny Burrell or EARLE WARREN (of the Basie band), for that matter, i.e. a very light-skinned Black who might even have passed as White in some contexts. Now tell me frankly, is it so or not?

Actually when I started reading this thread now (had never noticed it before) the original question immediately made me think of Frank Strozier too. When I got that original copy of "Fantastic Frank Strozier" on VeeJay I was sort of puzzled about the cover pic as I had imagined him to be Black (O.K., a/a for those who prefer that term) but wasn't so sure about it anymore after seeing that cover.

Now what about Jackie McLean, then? What IS the common consensus or established knowledge, then? Can't we just cut out this P.C. or "being touchy" thing for a second and just give a factual answer? I mean, it is NOT something that values or valorizes anybody in any way these days anymore. It's just about stating a fact, one way or another. And haven't subjects such as this been discussed in the case of Creoles too? Without any P.C. qualms?

As for me, I've always guessed he falls in the same league as Kenny Burrell or EARLE WARREN (of the Basie band), for that matter, i.e. a very light-skinned Black who might even have passed as White in some contexts. Now tell me frankly, is it so or not?

It is so, in all the cases you mentioned.

• 1 month later...

Actually when I started reading this thread now (had never noticed it before) the original question immediately made me think of Frank Strozier too.

Actually, when I started reading this thread, it made me think of Aric's thread back in the BNBB days asking whether Herbie Nichols was gay or not.

Thank you.

Actually when I started reading this thread now (had never noticed it before) the original question immediately made me think of Frank Strozier too.

Actually, when I started reading this thread, it made me think of Aric's thread back in the BNBB days asking whether Herbie Nichols was gay or not.

Sshhhhhh. Don't get 'em started here about gay musicians. Especially dead ones. I say, in the name of Billie Tipton......

Sshhhhhh. Don't get 'em started here about gay musicians. Especially dead ones. I say, in the name of Billie Tipton......

Lester Young's nickname for Earl Warren (who, was, btw, a great soloist in his later years) was "white folks." There's a Cadence interview with Warren in which he talks about the whole skin color issue and clearly shows a lot of hurt in regard to his being considered less than black. The whole subject can get really strange and even a little bizarre,

• 8 years later...
On 24.12.2020 at 6:12 PM, Dmitry said:

This is far out.

Jackie Mclean, Tony Willams 15 or 16 y.o., Ray Santisi. 

Connolly's Star Dust Room
Roxbury, MA

131929733_10225042336749491_3975663110559745649_n

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10225042336709490&set=a.4846320039768

Great picture. It was almost a father-son relation between Jackie McLean and Tony Williams. I think McLean even offered Tony a place to sleep during Chrismas 1962 when he first came to NY. Young Tony looks like he could be McLean´s son, so young he looks. 

But what really counts is the great music those two were making.....