Is Jackie McLean Black or White?

Peter

I've always wondered . . . is Jackie McLean black or white? What's his ethnicity? Of course it is irrelevant to the great music he's given us, but this is America and race matters. Many fans are interested in non-music facts relating to their favorite musicians. Put me in the category. Thanks.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the consensus back on the old BNBB was that Jackie was very possibly of mixed racial decent. In fact, I think the consensus was leaning more towards "probably".

In any case, ever since I read that discussion on the BNBB (circa 2000 or 2001), I've accepted this as the most probable answer.

Does the "way back when machine" have anything about this from 2000 or 2001?? (I've forgotten where the link is, or how to search to search for things (or if searches can even be done).)

I've always wondered . . . is Jackie McLean black or white? What's his ethnicity? Of course it is irrelevant to the great music he's given us, but this is America and race matters. Many fans are interested in non-music facts relating to their favorite musicians. Put me in the category. Thanks.

Well if you need to know, I will be at his show on Tursday. I will ask him. :D

He grew up in the Harlem NY. Which at the time was and still is very much of African American decent.

I thought the consensus back on the old BNBB was that Jackie was very possibly of mixed racial decent.  In fact, I think the consensus was leaning more towards "probably".

Damn near everyone in North America is of mixed racial descent.

Same goes for Latin America!

Even for Europe, but you don't detect it as easily as they're mostly white here ....

Even for Europe, but you don't detect it as easily as they're mostly white here ....

I recently met a couple here - Americans of European descent - who referred to themselves as "Euro mutts." That made me laugh, but it's oh so true... :D

Do I need to know? No. Would I like to know? Yes. I was pretty amused once when a (young, black) cash register clerk looked at my name on my credit card (Zwiefelhofer) and asked if the name was european. Ask Jackie McLean if you've got the chutzpa. I once asked an irishman if he was protestant or catholic. He was annoyed ("that's pretty personal mate") but answered the question (protestant), and followed up with some very interesting first-hand accounts regarding protestant/catholic relations in Belfast. Jackie McLean might have some insight into race relations, some personal accounts, so ask and tell us what he has to say. Race shouldn't matter, but it does and we're kidding ourselves if we pretend otherwise.

Wow. For several years I actually thought Jackie McLean was white. Then I read some interview where he referred to being black, I looked at an album photo and thought, "Oh yeah, I guess he is black." I felt like such an idiot. Peter's question makes me feel a lot better. ^_^

I agree with what Chuck Nessa said. As far as I'm concerned the only things about Jackie McLean that interest me are (1) Does he play with great skill? (2)Does he play with feeling? (3)Do I like his playing? The general consenus to questions one and two on this board seem to be yes and the answer at this time to question three is inconclusive. While I think Jackie has a great deal of ability I have yet to warm to his playing but I've heard enough to make me keep trying to connect with Jackie.

Any other issue regarding Jackie is not relevant to me personally but I guess at this point and time I'm outvoted on this thread.