Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hittin' that Gerald Wilson one more time, this time focusing on the drumming. Mel Lewis, no surprises there, and Frank Butler kicks a big band as well as he did a small group (well, this big band, anyway), but...can't say that the names Chuck Carter, Mel Lee, or Carl Lott are in any way familiar, but there they are, and they are doing quite well.

Tonight I am listening to:

The Complete Roulette Studio Recordings of Count Basie Disk 6, "9:20 Special". Beautiful band, and this set sounds great! I wonder if the original master tapes would sound better remastered today than when this set came out (1993-94)? I think they hit a home run. This is one of the sets that I wish Mosaic or someone, would bring back in print (I know Mosaics are limited) but this music needs to be heard, and the newer remasters aren't quite as good.

Just got the new Allison Krauss & Union Station recording and it's nice reflective music too, big thumbs up for sound quality, musicianship and songwriting.

Edited by Jazz Nut

The Duke Pearson Select.

I had most of this material already on LPs of varying condition, so it's good to hear it all clean.

I can also see how this material might not "grab" some people, but I find it endlessly fascinating in the minutiae, the little details of arrangement and production, particularly the Brazilian, material. Seems to me that Pearson was a bit ahead of the curve (and very, very sympathetic) to the second wave of Brazilian music that came to America.

Even the "MOR" stuff with the vocal choir...there's some details in there that separate it from the generic. the choir's overtones on "Clara" in particular. And his piano work in both solo and accompaniment...there's this...attention to the finer points, the details within the details that I really hear here.

Duke Pearson's status as "jazz giant" may be debatable, but not his status as an subtly yet unmistakably individual talent. I'm glad I picked up this set.

Carmel Jones Select.

Really digging Clifford Scott's alto work on Business Meeting...that tone! Dig how he comes in on Cherokee, like an in-heat sanctified speaking-in-tongues be-bopper. Outstanding! Wish I could have been sitting in the studio to see what, if any, reaction Bud Shank had. I bet he grinned, at least inside. Hell, I laughed out loud myself, but they stop the take if you do stuff like that in the studio.

And more Gerald Wilson writing & Harold Land solos, a nice supplement to the Wilson Mosaic.

The Duke Pearson Select.

I had most of this material already on LPs of varying condition, so it's good to hear it all clean.

I can also see how this material might not "grab" some people, but I find it endlessly fascinating in the minutiae, the little details of arrangement and production, particularly the Brazilian, material. Seems to me that Pearson was a bit ahead of the curve (and very, very sympathetic) to the second wave of Brazilian music that came to America.

Even the "MOR" stuff with the vocal choir...there's some details in there that separate it from the generic. the choir's overtones on "Clara" in particular. And his piano work in both solo and accompaniment...there's this...attention to the finer points, the details within the details that I really hear here.

Duke Pearson's status as "jazz giant" may be debatable, but not his status as an subtly yet unmistakably individual talent. I'm glad I picked up this set.

I'm just glad I didn't drive you nuts talking about Pearson endlessly like I have... laugh.gif

Oh, I've long dug Duke Pearson. He was a "cult hero" at school back in the day, once people began digging into Blue Note in earnest and figuring out who did what and how.

The ensemble sides with Turrnetine were like Arranging Bibles, I tell you.

The Duke Pearson Select.

I like this Select a lot which surprised me. It's richly varied covering really quite a wide stylistic base. Gets frequent play.