Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two on the way, the oop Elvin Jones and the Coleman Hawkins. I have heard a lot of the coleman hawkins but am unfamiliar with the Elvin Jones other than a few samples off the internet. Last I looked the Hawk set is now backordered until 2015.

Andrew Hill Solo: Disc 1 - speechless from the beauty.

Is he the only artist with 3 sets? I have two but not the solo set.

Joe Pass Pacific Jazz CDs 1 & 2. Hit's the spot..

715427.jpg

I have two on the way, the oop Elvin Jones and the Coleman Hawkins. I have heard a lot of the coleman hawkins but am unfamiliar with the Elvin Jones other than a few samples off the internet. Last I looked the Hawk set is now backordered until 2015.

Andrew Hill Solo: Disc 1 - speechless from the beauty.

Is he the only artist with 3 sets? I have two but not the solo set.

Louis Armstrong has 3, I think. Kenton also 3 - if you count 'Kenton Presents'.

Herman has 3 as well, right? Capitol, Columbia and Philips.

Yep, if you count the Select. Ellington holds the record, I think, with four--2 Brunswick (big band and small groups), 1 Capitol, 1 Reprise.

Listening to Rosemary Clooney, disc 3. I like this set a lot better than I thought I would.

gregmo

Yes indeed! I don't think I've heard anything bad by Ellington anyways ... even the drabber sessions usually contain some hidden pleasures! Same goes for the box I've started listening last night and in the middle of by now:

DukeEllington-CompleteCapitolRecordings_

True, true, though I think the Reprise box has more interesting surprises on it than the Capitol box. Not that I'd part with that one, you understand!

gregmo

MI0001805678.jpg

CDs 5 and 6 now spinning. Those latter PJ albums are really good !

Yup, they even make "Hey Jude" sound like ... not 200% but only about 198% awkward :P

Yes indeed! I don't think I've heard anything bad by Ellington anyways ... even the drabber sessions usually contain some hidden pleasures! Same goes for the box I've started listening last night and in the middle of by now:

DukeEllington-CompleteCapitolRecordings_

True, true, though I think the Reprise box has more interesting surprises on it than the Capitol box. Not that I'd part with that one, you understand!

gregmo

Yes, I'm all with you! But the Capitol has those lovely trio sessions! When I first got the box, small group Ellington to me was limited to "Back to Back" -- and trio Ellington to "Money Jungle" ... obviously none of his other trio dates is quite up there, so young me didn't really *get* those Capitol trios, but by now, I'm really fond ot 'em (same goes, I guess, for "Live at the Whitney" -- I think some enthusiast comment by Mr. Sangrey led me to check those out with newly adjusted ears ...)

Just finished discs 1 and 2 of the other Mosaic I just got (the Clooney was really just a filler to make a bit more sense wrt to shipping costs):

MI0002438852.jpg