Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

9124828fd7a04c0a7ab23110.L.jpg

Started yesterday with this ... one of my favourites!

Not so sure about the Pass - the best of it is very fine, but actually I think I can kinda follow Cuscuna's aversion against Les McCann ... okay, dude brings good vibes a plenty, and he's after all on "Swiss Movement" (which is a personal favourite of mine, has been for many years), but after two or three tunes, I think I've heard the two or three grooves he's got goin' on and am ready to move on. Were it not for Pass, I'd not be interested in these dates at all. The sessions with second guitar instead of piano ... well, some of it is just a bit too cute for my likings. That sounds pretty negative, which is not how it should - it's just one set I'd rather give ***1/2 instead of *****.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am playing my very first Mosaic Vinyl box - "the complete Horace Parlan sessions on Blue Note". Bought recently on eBay for $99 in mint condition. Had the chance to also buy the complete Andrew Hill blue note Mosaic from the same seller for $225 but passed since I have all the Andrew Hill Blue Note LPs...even though I realize $225 was a steal it would have been a bit redundant. However I do not own anything by Horace Parlan on Blue Note so this purchase was a no-brainer!

I love the liner notes. Does the music sound better then the original Blue Notes? I'm not so sure...sound is great but I'm not blown away like I am by some of my original "plastylite" blue notes. I think I will be happy with this set at this good price...it also helps that I have an audiophile friend who has a complete collection of all the Mosaic vinyl boxes releases so far!