Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

And you know how a positive times a negative will result in a negative but a negative times a negative, that magnetpolicity of theoretical-real numberlife? Well, how many ever negatives there are in this times-equation, it must be an even number, because, how/why/HUH, there's no other real explanation.

Sounds like thing he said to a stripper, a movie stripper not a real one.

Received the Benedetti box and the Dial box yesterday. Had a quick listen to some random tracks of each while i ripped them to my computer (which all went very smoothly, which i'm very grateful for).

I'll post some more substantial thoughts on each box in their dedicated threads once i've had some proper listens (by 'substantial thoughts' i mean that i'll probably just be ranting on about how awesome they are), but FWIW here are some quick thoughts:

- I'm so stoked to have these, particularly the Benedetti which has been a set that i have coveted for a long time but thought of as a bit of an indulgence/luxury item.

- Admittedly only listened to a few random tracks but first impressions = pleasantly surprised by the sound quality of the Benedetti. Totally listenable.

- Haven't done side-by-side comparisons of the Dial material with other releases of the same material that i have, but it sounds good to me.

- On the subject of the weird symbol sounds on some tracks, it's interesting. As i say, i've only had a quick listen, but taking track one on disc two for example, yeah there are sections where it sounds like the type of text book digital artifact/swirling you get on low bit rate MP3s. Now, i take them at their word that the sound is not a result of any digital tampering, that it's the result of the original recording or transfers or whatever, however the problem is that regardless of what's caused it it sounds like something that is well known to be displeasing to the ear. It's like, if you don't like mustard, and you order a sandwich and it tastes like there is mustard on it, and you don't like the taste so you ask the chef 'what's up?', and the chef confirms that there is in fact no mustard on the sandwich, and he is correct there is no mustard, what you're tasting is in fact a by product of the yeast in the bread, it doesn't really matter because at the end of the day it tastes like mustard and you don't like mustard. Anyway, just thinking aloud at this stage; it's not a deal breaker for me and i have a lot of listening to do before i'm ready to 'pass judgement'. As i say, overall i'm thrilled to have the Dial set and i can't wait to really dig in to it.

Serious question - Can that really happen, that bread tastes like mustard because of the yeast?

Don't get me wrong, I love mustard (all kinds), just want to know what to look out to avoid eating some funkyass bread.

Sorry, i just made that up for the purposes of the analogy as i hurried through it. I love mustard too!

Also, i came home from work and wanted to double check for the 'swooshing' again, and yeah i heard it, although it sounded less 'digital artifact' like this time round. But then i had a large meal of Spaghetti Bolognaise for dinner, and now i can't hear it anymore, like, at all. So there you go, don't over eat on pasta when attempting to do critical listening.

On a serious note (although seriously, the pasta did affect my hearing) i did compare Diggin' Diz from the Dial set versus the version that i had on The Complete Studio Chronicle set prior to eating, and the version on the Dial set just totally blows it out of the water.

Loving the Dodo Marmarosa stuff BTW! Loving this set!

Edited by xybert

Serious question - Can that really happen, that bread tastes like mustard because of the yeast?

Don't get me wrong, I love mustard (all kinds), just want to know what to look out to avoid eating some funkyass bread.

Sorry, i just made that up for the purposes of the analogy as i hurried through it. I love mustard too!

Thanks for the clarification. I like the twangy bread, but only when it's intentional.

• 2 weeks later...

Duke Ellington – CD 4d (S – Sept 1934) – The Complete 1932-1940 Brunswick, Columbia & Master Recordings of Duke Ellington and His Famous Orchestra (Mosaic / Brunswick) — includes "Solitude"

elling_duke_complete1_101b.jpg

Edited by alankin