Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MS-001 Mosaic Select: Grachan Moncur, Disc 3, "Hipnosis" session.

As has been discussed elsewhere on this board, this Select is as much a Jackie McLean set as it is Grachan Moncur.  

It's the first Select I purchased, and still one of my favorites.  Always hear something new every time I put it on.  Today, it's Billy Higgins' ride cymbal phrasing and comping (with the snares off) on "Hipnosis"... so good!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Johnny Hodges and his Orchestra – SGS CD 4e [(Q,R) – Jun, 1 Aug 1938] – The Complete Duke Ellington 1936-1940 Variety, Vocalion and Okeh Small Group Sessions (Vocalion / Mosaic Records)
— With Cootie Williams, Lawrence Brown / Johnny Hodges, Harry Carney / Duke Ellington, Billy Taylor, Sonny Greer / Mary McHugh, Leon LaFell
— Titles include:  Pyramid, Empty Ballroom Blues, Jitterbug's Lullaby

artworks-000077451366-zrrqwz-t500x500.jp

Edited by alankin

• 2 weeks later...

The Complete Duke Ellington 1936-1940 Variety, Vocalion and Okeh Small Group Sessions (Vocalion / Mosaic)

Cootie Williams and His Rug Cutters – SGS CD 5a [(S) – Aug 1938]
— With Cootie Williams / Barney Bigard, Johnny Hodges, Otto Hardwick, Harry Carney / Duke Ellington, Billy Taylor, Sonny Greer / Scat Powell
— Titles include: Chasin' Chippies, Swing Pan Alley, Sharpy

artworks-000077451366-zrrqwz-t500x500.jp

Duke Ellington – CD 9c [(RR,SS,TT) – Aug-Sep 1938] – The Complete 1932-1940 Brunswick, Columbia & Master Recordings of Duke Ellington and His Famous Orchestra (Mosaic / Brunswick)
— With Rex Stewart, Wallace Jones, Cootie Williams / Joe Nanton, Lawence Brown, Juan Tizol / Barney Bigard, Johnny Hodges, Otto Hardwick, Harry Carney / DE, Fred Guy, Billy Taylor, Sonny Greer  /  Scat Powell (1 trk)
— Titles include: A Blues Serenade, Please Forgive Me, Prelude to A Kiss, Hip Chic, Boy Meets Horn (aka Twits And Twerps), Mighty Like the Blues

elling_duke_complete1_101b.jpg

Edited by alankin

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, BFrank said:

One of my favorite sets.

Thad never disappoints.

Now moving on to disc 3.  Motor City Scene  is the least familiar to me - most of the other music here I have or had on vinyl.

Edited by JohnS