Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/8/2017 at 2:58 PM, hbbfam said:

Finally have gotten around to starting the Woody Shaw Muse box.  It has been on back order for a long time.  Just into disc one, but this is one nice sounding set.

shaw.jpe

I have some of the original albums, and if the rest of the set is as good as those you're in for a treat. I need to get this box, too, since all my vinyl is in storage.

7 hours ago, alankin said:

Question for those who have the Gerald Wilson or Oliver Nelson Mosaic box sets.  Who wrote the notes for the booklets and did you find them worth reading?

The Wilson set was written by Doug Ramsey. I like the booklet - nice overview plus session notes. Also a LOT of great photos that you probably won't get anywhere else.

R-4049283-1389490701-7448.jpeg.jpg

Listening to the Mulligan Concert Jazz Band set the other day whetted my appettite for this. I searched and found a new one from a seller for about 20 dollars more and got it. I found out (to my absolute pleasure I must say) that Hall and Raney play together on one album here, The Street Swingers. :tup

Edited by Bluesnik

Woody Herman – The Complete Columbia Recordings - CD 1 [Feb-Mar 1945] [(ABC) on Woody Herman and His Orchestra & Woodchoppers (1945-47) box set] (Mosaic Records – Columbia)
— With Sonny Berman, Charlie Frankhauser, Ray Wetzel, Pete Candoli, Carl Warwick (tp); Bill Harris, Ralph Pfeffner, Ed Kiefer (tb); Woody Hearman (cl,as,vcl), Sam Marowitz, John LaPorta (as), Flip Phillips, Pete Mondello (ts), Skippy DeSair (bari); Marjorie Hyams (vib), Ralph Burns (p, arr), Billy Bauer (g), Chubby Jackson (b), Dave Tough (d); Frances Wayne (vcl); Roger Segure, Neal Hefti (arr)

MI0001748269.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/02/2017 at 10:58 PM, hbbfam said:

Finally have gotten around to starting the Woody Shaw Muse box.  It has been on back order for a long time.  Just into disc one, but this is one nice sounding set.

shaw.jpe

Spinning CDs 6 and 7 of this gem. 

Edited by sidewinder

Woody Herman – The Complete Columbia Recordings - CD 2a [Aug 1945] [(DEF) on Woody Herman and His Orchestra & Woodchoppers (1945-47) box set] (Mosaic Records – Columbia)

MI0001748269.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Personnel:
Sonny Berman, Conte Candoli, Pete Candoli, Ray Linn (tp), Neal Hefti (tp, arr); Bill Harris, Ralph Pfeffner, Ed Kiefer (tb); Woody Herman (cl,as,vcl), Sam Marowitz, John LaPorta (as), Flip Phillips, Pete Mondello (ts), Skippy DeSair (bari); Tony Aless (p), Billy Bauer (g), Chubby Jackson (b), Dave Tough (d); Frances Wayne (vcl); Ralph Burns (arr).

Includes two previously unissued tunes ("I'm Not Having Any This Year" and "I Can't Believe My Eyes") and previously unissued alternate takes of "The Good Earth".

Edited by alankin

On 7.3.2017 at 8:06 PM, mikeweil said:

Picked it up at the pst office at noon and listened to it all in the car during the afternoon. This is the first time I ever heard Jimmy Yancey and Cripple Clarence Lofton ....

MS030.jpg

Now spinning disc one at home - this really rocks the house!