Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

41sH7mhI%2BzL.jpg  Basie_in_Sweden.jpg  

Count Basie and His Orchestra – Basie in Sweden [CD 5a (8/9/62 - Sets 1 & 2) from The Complete Roulette Live Recordings] (Roulette Records / Mosaic)

Personnel:
Count Basie - piano; Al Aarons, Sonny Cohn, Thad Jones, Fip Ricard - trumpets; Henry Coker, Quentin Jackson, Benny Powell - trombones; Marshal Royal, Frank Wess - alto saxophone; Eric Dixon, Frank Foster - tenor saxophone; Charlie Fowlkes - baritone saxophone; Freddie Green - guitar; Ike Isaacs - bass; Louis Bellson - drums

— Arrangements: Foster, Thad Jones, Ernie Wilkins, Neal Hefti, Bob Florence, Freddie Green
— 8 unissued tracks, 1 issued track; recorded live at Dans In, Grona Lund, Stockholm

Edited by alankin

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Woody HermanThe Complete Columbia Recordings - CD 2b [Sep 1945] [(G) on Woody Herman and His Orchestra & Woodchoppers (1945-47) box set] (Mosaic Records – Columbia)

MI0001748269.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Personnel: Sonny Berman, Conte Candoli, Pete Candoli, Irv Lewis, Ray Linn (tp), Neal Hefti (tp, arr), Bill Harris (tb, arr), Ralph Pfeffner, Ed Kiefer (tb); Woody Herman (cl,as,vcl), Sam Marowitz, John LaPorta (as), Flip Phillips, Pete Mondello (ts), Skippy DeSair (bari); Red Norvo (vib), Tony Aless (p), Billy Bauer (g), Chubby Jackson (b), Buddy Rich (d); Frances Wayne (vcl); Ralph Burns (arr).
— With "Gee It's Good To Hold You" and "Your Father's Mustache" plus two previously unissued alternate take of the latter.

Henry Threadgill & Make A Move – Where's Your Cup? [(K) on The Complete Novus & Columbia Recordings box] (Columbia—Mosaic)
— Henry Threadgill - alto saxophone, flute; Brandon Ross - electric guitar, classical guitar; Tony Cedras - accordion, harmonium; Stomu Takeishi - 5-string fretless bass; J.T. Lewis - drums

artworks-000069357007-pz5mn9-t500x500.jp  31D8DGWSARL.jpg

On 4/7/2017 at 7:23 AM, alankin said:

Henry Threadgill & Make A Move – Where's Your Cup? [(K) on The Complete Novus & Columbia Recordings box] (Columbia—Mosaic)
— Henry Threadgill - alto saxophone, flute; Brandon Ross - electric guitar, classical guitar; Tony Cedras - accordion, harmonium; Stomu Takeishi - 5-string fretless bass; J.T. Lewis - drums

artworks-000069357007-pz5mn9-t500x500.jp  31D8DGWSARL.jpg

I definitely need to spend more time with that set!

What Mosaic am I NOT enjoying? "Ruby Braff -- Hi-fi Salute to Bunny"

This is what I posted on Mosaic's site:

2note.gif

Disappointing then, more disappointing now

Bought this on RCA when it first came out in 1957 and felt that it was a surprisingly lifeless date, given the eminence of the young Braff and the quality, on paper at least, of the rest of the band [Peewee Russell, Benny Morton, Dick Hafer, Nat Pierce, Steve Jordan, Walter Page, Buzzy Drootin]. I attributed this lifelessness in part to the rather claustrophobic sound -- there seemed to have been virtually no resonance to the studio where it was recorded, and enough resonance is crucial to capturing Braff's fat sound -- and bought the Mosaic assuming/hoping that careful remastering would bring improvement. If anything, sound quality is worse than on my old LP; still just as airless -- was the album remastered at all? -- and Nat Pierce's piano even breaks up on several tracks. Wish I could return this one, don't think I'll ever listen to again.

[Further thoughts]

Whoever wrote the charts for this date (Pierce?)  should be horsewhipped. Voicing Peewee in unison with three other horns is asking for big trouble. Instead, just leave him free to swirl about the rest of the ensemble as he sees fit; his instincts in such a setup are almost always right on the money. In any case, Peewee sounds very dispirited here. And to think that just a year before Ruby made that great album "Braff!" (Epic). FWIW, I think Fred Reynolds was the producer here. Horsewhip him, too, damn it.