Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gerald Wilson – Feelin' Kinda Blues [(IJK) from The Complete Pacific Jazz Recordings box] (Pacific Jazz / Mosaic)

MI0002505763.jpg?partner=allrovi.com081973.jpg

Personnel:
Gerald Wilson - arranger, conductor; Bobby Bryant, Jules Chaikin, Freddie Hill, Nat Meeks, Melvin Moore, Al Porcino - trumpet; Bob Edmondson, John Ewing, Lester Robertson - trombone; Fred Murell - bass trombone; Curtis Amy - soprano saxophone; Anthony Ortega - alto saxophone, flute, piccolo; Teddy Edwards, Harold Land - tenor saxophone; Jack Nimitz - baritone saxophone; Phil Moore III - piano; Don Randi - organ; Dennis Budimir - guitar; Buddy Woodson - bass; Victor Feldman - vibraphone; Mel Lee - drums; Modesto Duran, Bones Howe, Adolfo Valdes - percussion.

7 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Spinning CD 1 (Brignola) right now. The sound is excellent ! :tup

Big fan of this set. 

Right now, giving the Woody Shaw Muse its first spin.  Got it yesterday

59 minutes ago, Clunky said:

how do you find the sound ? 

No complaints so far, nice clear sound - having said that, I haven't tried comparing against the Arista 2LP sets (which I will probably do for the Dexter stuff). I like the booklet with this one - with the excellent introductory essay on Teddy Reig. What a mark that guy made on the world of music !  Too bad there weren't any Savoy session photos but I guess Mr Lubinsky didn't believe in all that..

Edited by sidewinder

55 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

No complaints so far, nice clear sound - having said that, I haven't tried comparing against the Arista 2LP (which I will probably do for the Dexter stuff). I like the booklet with this one - with the excellent introductory essay on Teddy Reig. What a mark that guy made on the world of music !  Too bad there weren't any Savoy session photos but I guess Mr Lubinsky didn't believe in all that..

encouraging ,  I think there have been some negative comments about the sound on this and the Dial set ( which I don't have either). Music on both will be great and I have loads of it on 2LP sets and a few CDs and even a very few original Savoy 78s

I've been listening to both sets and so far, the view is positive. Don't have other CD sources to compare with but the sound is pretty clear, considering this is 70 year old music (gasp) and it is great to have it all compiled in archival sets. I think they did a pretty good job ! (stands back awaiting flame-out response..:o).

The music, of course, on both sets - is historic.

Edited by sidewinder

Just run a comparison between LP 1 track 2 'Blow Mr Dexter' from the Arista 2LP set and the same track on the Moaic set. There's no question that the sound of Dexter comes across in the Mosaic as more in focus and with a 'bigger' sound. Noticed though that there was what sounded to be a very short duration drop off on the Mosaic just before the piano solo - tape deterioration perhaps? All in all though I prefer the sound of the Mosaic, although the Lps are no slouch.