Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎14‎.‎12‎.‎2017 at 9:15 AM, kinuta said:

https://www.music-bazaar.com/album-images/vol1001/828/828813/2683746-big/The-Complete-Strata-East-Sessions-CD4-cover.jpg

Disc 1   In The World

me to, got it yesterday and have listend to "in the World" and the Cecil Payne date.

It´s interesting to hear a quite straight ahead thing with two basses and two drummers, they all are topnotch musicians. A surprise for me was the Kenny Dorham . I didn´t even know he still played that late in his life. Always thought the "Trompeta Toccatta" was his last recording. And he still sounds very good. Same with Wynton Kelly. Never heard anything that late in his career, he had more profile during the early 60s, with Miles and then with various BN artists and then with Wes Montgomery......

The piano sounds a bit tinny, maybe it was an upright. At least on one of the photos you see an upright.

The Cecil Payne disc is also very good. I liked most the last track "Flying Fish", I heard that live, Cecil Payne with Ron Carter, and a young unknown tenorist and I don´t remember the rest, but it was towards the end of Cecils life.

It´s strange to hear straight ahead material that late in the 60´s.

I´m lookin forward now to listen today to the more free material, once I have heard the Brackeen Don Cherry stuff, cant wait hear the Ed Blackwell and the Pharoah Sanders and the rest of it.......

12 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

me to, got it yesterday and have listend to "in the World" and the Cecil Payne date.

It´s interesting to hear a quite straight ahead thing with two basses and two drummers, they all are topnotch musicians. A surprise for me was the Kenny Dorham . I didn´t even know he still played that late in his life. Always thought the "Trompeta Toccatta" was his last recording. And he still sounds very good. Same with Wynton Kelly. Never heard anything that late in his career, he had more profile during the early 60s, with Miles and then with various BN artists and then with Wes Montgomery......

The piano sounds a bit tinny, maybe it was an upright. At least on one of the photos you see an upright.

The Cecil Payne disc is also very good. I liked most the last track "Flying Fish", I heard that live, Cecil Payne with Ron Carter, and a young unknown tenorist and I don´t remember the rest, but it was towards the end of Cecils life.

It´s strange to hear straight ahead material that late in the 60´s.

I´m lookin forward now to listen today to the more free material, once I have heard the Brackeen Don Cherry stuff, cant wait hear the Ed Blackwell and the Pharoah Sanders and the rest of it.......

The piano sounded out of tune to me, but what do I know.

Listened to discs 1,2,3,4.

I already had Zodiac but the Mosaic sounded better.

Couldn't see the point in the marathon drumming sessions on the latter part of disc 3. 

The Pharoah Sanders was ok but not really my thing.

I already had Glass Bead Games, meaning I just have Super Bass to listen too.

All in all, good but far from an essential Mosaic in my humble opinion.

Thank you kinuta for your really interesting answer.

Yeah, "out of tune" , the piano sounds like that, not as much as the out of tune piano on Monk´s early Prestige session, but nevertheless.

I´m lookin forward listening to the Glass Bead Games too. Somehow the period late 60´s early 70´s is not very much represented in my disco. I have a lot of Cliff Jordan with the Magic Triangle from 1975.

Will be interesting comparing the Pharoah Sanders with the other better known stuff "Karma" and other Impulse records.

2 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Thank you kinuta for your really interesting answer.

Yeah, "out of tune" , the piano sounds like that, not as much as the out of tune piano on Monk´s early Prestige session, but nevertheless.

I´m lookin forward listening to the Glass Bead Games too. Somehow the period late 60´s early 70´s is not very much represented in my disco. I have a lot of Cliff Jordan with the Magic Triangle from 1975.

Will be interesting comparing the Pharoah Sanders with the other better known stuff "Karma" and other Impulse records.

I have a lot of Cliff Jordan with the Magic Triangle from 1975.

The Highest Mountain is a great session