Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

R-4049018-1408713877-8994.jpeg.jpg

Discs 1 and 2.

Lovely stuff.Ā  Ā Unfortunately I didn't really get to appreciate Jones during his lifetime.Ā  I don't recollect his recordings being that easily available this side of the pond.

Edited by JohnS

That's a very nice set. I think the music here is better than his playing on his Prestige date or with Horace Silver.

After retiring from the Berlin Radio jazz orchestra he was reunited with his old Californian buddy Lou Blackburn in the latter's Afro-Jazz band, Mombasa. I remember they had a fun time playing together again. They were really cookin' when I heard them in the rather small Frankfurt Jazzkeller.

3 hours ago, mikeweil said:

R-9699547-1487098265-4649.jpeg.jpg

James P. Johnson is in the house!

Took from Friday to Monday to bring it here - just opened it and threw in the frist disc. Splendid sound for a 1921 session.

My copy is # 1209 ...... did they really have all 5000 copies made?

I don't have any inside info, but I'd be very surprised if there were 5000 copies of this box.

IĀ“ve just listend to the last CD from the Cliff Jordon Strata East:

The Glassbeads Game. Really great the two different quartets, the one with Stanley Cowell and the one with Cedar Walton. The Cliff-Walton-Sam Jones-Billy Higgins group became the working unit, that would record very much in the following years.

In general, that Box has a lot of interesting material, but I liked most the Rhytm X, the Pharoah Sanders with Sonny Sharrock, and of course the Glass Beads Game.

10 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

IĀ“ve just listend to the last CD from the Cliff Jordon Strata East:

The Glassbeads Game. Really great the two different quartets, the one with Stanley Cowell and the one with Cedar Walton. The Cliff-Walton-Sam Jones-Billy Higgins group became the working unit, that would record very much in the following years.

In general, that Box has a lot of interesting material, but I liked most the Rhytm X, the Pharoah Sanders with Sonny Sharrock, and of course the Glass Beads Game.

"Glass Beads Game" is terrific ...