Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, jeffcrom said:

R-1654845-1234818921.jpeg.jpg

The Jimmy Giuffre Clarinet, also from the Mosaic big box, and also programmed in the original track order, which is the only way this album makes sense.

Nice one Jeff.   The JImmy Giuffre Clarinet was one of my first buys back in the day.

18 hours ago, jeffcrom said:

R-3386596-1328385988.jpeg.jpg  R-3994828-1351720920-7722.jpeg.jpg  R-2783061-1395815135-2073.jpeg.jpg

Two very different albums from the Larry Young Blue Note box: Contrasts and Grant Green's I Want to Hold Your Hand.

I haven’t given it much thought but I wonder how many jazz versions there are of Beatie songs (having recently listened to Organissimo’s album). 

I don't know what kind of lounges you guys have gone to. Ah, I forgot, Buddy Rich, haters gonna hate.

That's I fine, y'all do Buddy Rich, I do Oscar Peterson, y'all do Buddy Rich, the difference being that Buddy Rich wasn't fake.

Here's some jazzlounge Beatles, but I don't think it's  a travesty either, not with legs like that

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

I don't know what kind of lounges you guys have gone to. Ah, I forgot, Buddy Rich, haters gonna hate.

That's I fine, y'all do Buddy Rich, I do Oscar Peterson, y'all do Buddy Rich, the difference being that Buddy Rich wasn't fake.

Here's some jazzlounge Beatles, but I don't think it's  a travesty either, not with legs like that.

That's pretty awful stuff, but it's Jackie and Roy.  The Liebman cut wasn't bad; it has feeling  

Try to deflect all you want but I guess that wasn't sufficient; you had to throw in a sexist comment. Whatever works for you. You love Buddy, good for you. That Norwegian Wood version is terrible, no matter how you cut it.  

Edited by Brad

Those were great legs, those leggings or colored hosiery, whatever they were, very striking, very stylish. I applaud the fashion, nothing sexist about it at all, unless appreciating fashion is sexist.

I don't love Buddy Rich, god knows. But yeah, the guy drove, he was Tony Williams before there was a real Tony Williams.

Here's the deal - They played NW as a jazz waltz, as a 6/8 swinger. If you didn't know it was a Beatles tune, you'd not hear it as a "jazz version of a Beatles tune". So your mind is already thinking one thing, telling your ears what you're going to hear before you even hear it. We all do it, but it's fucked up, it's lazy thinking, and it's why we're all so easily manipulated by image and "culture". Buddy's driving that band like a man possessed, and they're more than up to the task (except for the guitarist who muffs the ending and knows it right away, he looks at Buddy in near fear!), and oh, it's A Beatles song, that's a travesty. No - the travesty is that we already know what to hear before it's even heard. And then we actually hear nothing. Nothing.

Here's a bit more of a travesty, although again, a helluva band. But 4/4? Seriously?

All this to answer the question of how many jazz versions of Beatles songs there have been, and the answer is quite a few actually. Quite a few.