Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

Thanks for the pontificating and letting me know what I think. God, I feel so better already :rolleyes: I listened to both the Rich version (again) and Basie's, and I marginally prefer the latter, which leads me to the conclusion that Beatle tunes may work better in small settings. I listened to the Organissimo album the other day and it's a terrific album. It has soul that the others don't, all in my opinion, of course. 

By the way, fwiw, my original question was more on the rhetorical side. 

Edited by Brad

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the additional links but maybe it’s a case that these songs don’t translate that well into a jazz format in that the artists are playing them more or less straight up. 

Sorry if I hijacked the thread. Maybe there should be a separate thread on the topic, rock songs played by jazz artists. 

16 minutes ago, paul secor said:
John Patton Select - disc 2
I love the way that Clifford Jarvis breaks up the time and still keeps a groove going on That Certain Feeling. To me, it sounds a bit like a Roy Haynes type approach.

That Certain Feeling is probably my favorite John Patton album.  I don't often buy very many Japanese discs that are dupes of material I already have on CD as part of a Mosaic -- but I made an exception for That Certain Feeling (yeah, a little because it's split between two discs on the Select),  But as much or more simply because it's such a cohesive album, that really seems to dig in deep. 

On 9/23/2018 at 11:31 AM, JSngry said:

Uh-oh, small group, travesty (unless you like that kind of thing), theory needs more testing...

Poor Buddy Rich, he didn't realize that post-Beatle Paul McCartney sucks!

You know, I'd much rather hear Buddy do Big Swing Face, Love for Sale, Bugle Call Rag, Time Check, Groovin' Hard, Time Out, etc. than the Beatles tunes.  But I'm old and wise enough now to know that Buddy had a payroll to meet, and hey, if mixing in some arrangements of fairly current pop tunes helped  keep the band on the road and making some new fans and making records,I'm cool with that . It was the 60's and 70's, after all. And that arrangement of Norwegian Wood by Bill Holman is not bad at all, IMO. I liked it when I was a teenager. It's still OK, though not one I would request. 

Edited by John Tapscott

If you haven’t heard any McCartney since Linda died, then you should. His late career resurgence has been nothing short of astonishing. Notable albums being Run Devil Run, Chaos And Creation In The Backyard, Egypt Station, and Electric Arguments (as The Fireman). 

Post-Beatles McCartney most definitely does not suck. It just had a couple of down decades between the Ram/McCartney years, and the post Linda years. 

I was kidding about post-Beatles McCartney sucking. To the immediate point, "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey" has long been a favorite (and Jazz Fans Of All Ages should note that the Admiral Halsey flugelhorn is played by Jazz's Own Marvin Stamm!). If Buddy Rich playing Norwegian Wood would be a "travesty", how much more of a travesty would it be for him and his band to play an post-Beatles McCartney song, which is by the definition of the popular wisdom of a certain time (and which apparently is oblivious to the detailed, panoramic production of the entire song), already a travesty? In other words, it was a joke all around. Sometimes I pull 'em of, sometimes I don't..

I also read the recent GQ interview with Paul, and it's great. Recommended reading if you're at all a fan.

Huge fan, actually. I’ll seek out the article. 

Something happened to him mid to late 70’s. Even I admit I’d all but written him off until Flowers In The Dirt. But then he kinda started to drift again. But he recorded Run Devil Run not long after Linda died, and has been on a pretty impressive roll since. He just released Egypt Station a couple of weeks ago, and while the voice is sounding its age, the writing is still quite amazing. 

And his past two tours have been amazing. Two hours and forty five minutes of a 70+ year old dancing, hopping, running, and spinning around on stage as though he were only 20 something. I was worn out, and all I did was watch and listen. 

And that industrial strength band he’s been touring with shouldn’t be missed.

R-5994797-1414537689-1497.jpeg.jpg

Complete Dean Benedetti Recordings of Charlie Parker. My most battered Mosaic box. I remember how magical it was when it was issued. It's not easy listening, for a variety of reasons, but when I feel like hearing concentrated Bird, it's still magical. I listened to disc one for the first time in a while tonight - 60 minutes of casual genius.

R-5485917-1398302776-5752.jpeg.jpg

This was brought to me at 9.00 am this morning. Was picked up by TNT Express in Barcelona yesterday in the afternoon. Glad to finally have it here. I will keep my LP of the original "Count Em 88" LP for sure as it is in very good condition and sounds much better than the LP dub they had to use for the box set.

This is an iconic body of work in the history of jazz piano trio!

Edited by mikeweil