Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, OliverM said:

Elvin Jones CD 5 - a little bit less of my liking than the beginning of the box

I often feel the same way about the Elvin box, the farther towards the end of it that I get.

That said, at one point I realized that if the albums covered on discs #6 & #7 (with Jan Hammer, and the like)...  ...I realized that if those very same albums were by somebody else, and some really obscure label -- I'd probably value you them a little more (and probably even like them a little more too).  I mean, there's a ton of oddball 70's stuff I really love, and those last few Elvin BN dates fit right in that bag, stylistically -- along with some of the lesser-known Strata East dates, and the like.

Which is to say that my expectations going into them definitely colors the experience of listening to them for me -- so recalibrating my expectations has helped me appreciate those dates a little differently (and more too).

FWIW, my favorite date on that entire set is the one with Lee Morgan, in a rare piano-less "Ornette" quartet setting (rare for him, anyway).

5 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Which is to say that my expectations going into them definitely colors the experience of listening to them for me -- so recalibrating my expectations has helped me appreciate those dates a little differently (and more too).

FWIW, my favorite date on that entire set is the one with Lee Morgan, in a rare piano-less "Ornette" quartet setting (rare for him, anyway).

You're very right about expectations interfering with the listening. I get the idea of recalibrating because it is still very enjoyable music.

Edited by OliverM

10 minutes ago, jeffcrom said:

R-2658069-1320157422.jpeg.jpg  R-5621731-1398256113-8303.jpeg.jpg

Charles Brackeen - Rhythm X, from The Complete Clifford Jordan Strata-East Sessions

Sad story (for me). Back in the late '70s/early '80s Clifford met with me in Michael Cuscuna's office (which he shared with Maxine Gregg) to convince me to buy all those masters. He had reference reels to play the unissued stuff. I couldn't afford it at the time and regretfully passed.

Ultimately Michael issued the Mosaic box. Money was tight at the time and I waited (I have all the vinyl titles). 

Box went out of print - DAMN.