Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/9/2019 at 4:02 PM, Ken Dryden said:

Yesterday I sampled all 7 CDs of the Columbia Piano Moods boxed set for my upcoming Timeless Jazz broadcast airing this Sunday, 3-5 pm EDT on wutc.org.

It was fun revisitng the music and I especially enjoyed the Ralph Sutton, Joe Sullivan and very familiar Art Tatum tracks, the latter also which appeared on the LP and CD Piano Starts Here.

The Ralph Sutton recordings are really fine, aren't they...  I think Sutton's one of the great under-recognized jazz pianists.

On 16/07/2019 at 4:46 PM, David Ayers said:

Working through the Giuffre from start to finish. Although the box booklet and inserts turned to dust in the sunlight. Disks play fine. 

On the last leg. So good. 

Next up, Tristano /Konitz. 

Meanwhile in the car, Fifties Hank, all the way through. Oh yes. 

Edited by David Ayers

Image result for GERALD WILSON MOSAIC

I've enjoyed this set for years, but a friend whose opinion I trust waved me off the last disc, citing bad pop covers as the reason.  In investigating Bobby Hutcherson and Harold Land, I had cause to open and listen to the final disc in the set, and yes on disc 4 is a cover of Sunshine of Your Love and disc 5 does feature Aquarius, but these are not dealbreakers for me.  The version of Equinox on disc 5 kills.

Edited by Jim Duckworth

• 2 weeks later...
On 4.8.2019 at 11:17 PM, mikeweil said:

R-10970210-1538210501-4990.jpeg.jpg

Finished re-listening to this box set earlier this afternoon. The development of the quintet over the years covered by this set is remarkable. On the last session (July 1963) Shearing as modern a pianist as anybody else that year.