Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Did they place all of the solo piano tracks on the same disc?

There are some stretches of solo work in the set, but what I tend to do is make playlists (e.g. The Early 40's Sextet).  At any rate, it was through making a playlist that I was able to listen to that aspect of the set.

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Just arrived, listening to disc 1. I have some of this material on individual CD reissues, but very happy to have the complete Mosaic treatment, with Buell Neidlinger’s commentary in the booklet... and this is some of my favorite Cecil, period:

R-2955016-1589297665-4174.jpeg.jpg

Oh, but NOT complete! There were alternate takes recorded but not included. Cuscuna exercised his editorial prerogative on that, and it kinda pissed me off back then, tbh. I sent him a snail mail, which he answered, and he made his case, which made enough sense. But still -"Complete Recordings" either means complete recordings or it doesn't. These aren't false starts/breakdowns etc, these are full takes. I for one would very much like to hear what a "bad" take of this material by this band at this time sounded like, it would be very enlightening, I should think. Train Wreck Syndrome on early display, perhaps?

He got kinda angsty about overlooking some Chet Baker(?) cut, but saw fit to make the call about unissued Cecil Taylor, and I was like, dude, priorities! I car much less about it now than I did then, but back then, yeah, I cared about it!

17 hours ago, JSngry said:

Oh, but NOT complete! There were alternate takes recorded but not included. Cuscuna exercised his editorial prerogative on that, and it kinda pissed me off back then, tbh. I sent him a snail mail, which he answered, and he made his case, which made enough sense. But still -"Complete Recordings" either means complete recordings or it doesn't. These aren't false starts/breakdowns etc, these are full takes. I for one would very much like to hear what a "bad" take of this material by this band at this time sounded like, it would be very enlightening, I should think. Train Wreck Syndrome on early display, perhaps?

He got kinda angsty about overlooking some Chet Baker(?) cut, but saw fit to make the call about unissued Cecil Taylor, and I was like, dude, priorities! I car much less about it now than I did then, but back then, yeah, I cared about it!

Did any of the alternate takes show up on the non-Mosaic individual CDs that came out such as Cell Walk For Celeste, etc?  

18 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Just arrived, listening to disc 1. I have some of this material on individual CD reissues, but very happy to have the complete Mosaic treatment, with Buell Neidlinger’s commentary in the booklet... and this is some of my favorite Cecil, period:

R-2955016-1589297665-4174.jpeg.jpg

I bought my copy from Buell.  Paid cash. Never asked about alternates. 

5 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Did any of the alternate takes show up on the non-Mosaic individual CDs that came out such as Cell Walk For Celeste, etc?  

Now that I don't know. That was 30 or so years ago and at some point, I was like, oh, candid/Alan Bates again, finding stuff that wasn't supposed to be there, yawn. :g

2 hours ago, medjuck said:

Love those recordings.  Missed the Mosaic but got the Blue Note cd that had some added cuts.  Tried to buy a copy of the Mosaic booklet but they were out of it, so Scott (I think) sent me a Xerox of it gratis!

Well, that was a gate-fold LP, so no booklet as such, but it was thoughtful of Scott to send you a copy of the liners!

gregmo

• 1 month later...