Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't have the set (no plans to buy it, I have to confess) -- but I do love that cover of the Joe Henderson box.

Joe, arguably "over-lit" (overexposed?) like that -- with the almost lens flare quality of the light on his tenor, and other similar "hot" lighting on him, his glasses, the collar of his shirt, etc... -- all looks pretty damn badass, IMHO.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Listening to a Lou Donaldson album got me to dig out the Horace Parlan Mosaic set. Horace had wonderful, pungent chord voicings and had a unique sound - instantly identifiable. He could really lock into a groove. The Mosaic set has a lot of trio tracks and two wonderful sessions with the Turrentine brothers. That was a superb quintet - it also recorded under Stanley's name. There is some very lively Grant Green on one of the sessions.

While I think of it, check out Horace's solo on "Trees" on Roland Kirk's "I Talk With The Spirits" album. That album is where I first heard Horace.

Horace's rich piano sound is very addictive. This set led me to revisit Dexter Gordon's "Doin' All Right" album. Horace adds so much to that session. 

16 hours ago, Shrdlu said:

Listening to a Lou Donaldson album got me to dig out the Horace Parlan Mosaic set. Horace had wonderful, pungent chord voicings and had a unique sound - instantly identifiable. He could really lock into a groove. The Mosaic set has a lot of trio tracks and two wonderful sessions with the Turrentine brothers. That was a superb quintet - it also recorded under Stanley's name. There is some very lively Grant Green on one of the sessions.

While I think of it, check out Horace's solo on "Trees" on Roland Kirk's "I Talk With The Spirits" album. That album is where I first heard Horace.

Horace's rich piano sound is very addictive. This set led me to revisit Dexter Gordon's "Doin' All Right" album. Horace adds so much to that session. 

I agree very much with your assessment of Horace Parlan.  He also made a great series of records for SteepleChase. 

That Mulligan set IS good.

In the cover photo, Gerry is using the Selmer "Jiffy" sling, which came up in a thread in the Musicians' Forum section. So easy to adjust: a simple pull up or down, and it doesn't slip. I have one, and it hasn't worn at all. I wish they still sold them. Before that, my sling was a horrible thing with metal balls on a wire and a spring catch.