Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Atlantic New Orleans Box, discs 1 and 2 so far. I can see why some might be turned off by the intonation problems on the outdoor recordings on disc 1, but damn, they are playing with so much spirit that I don't care. And those rhythm sections...! Wow. This is such great, raw stuff, and while it's probably not quite the ame as hearing these bands doing it in the 1920s, I can hear the connection to those groups for sure.

Larry Young Mosaic - "I Want To Hold Your Hand" session

I've had this one for years and have never paid much attention to this session. I started listening to it again yesterday, and I'm loving it. It has the same laid-back vibe as "Street of Dreams," which I love. Great music. :tup

I've been playing the hell out of Discs 1, 2 and 5 of the Elvin Jones box. I knew I'd like 1 and 2 (had PUTTIN' IT TOGETHER after all before this), but disc 5 surprised me a little. Wow, Jan Hammer was quite an acoustic pianist, and this was a tight, funky yet edgy configuration Elvin had. Great stuff. Can't wait to explore the rest of the discs.

Edited by DrJ

Enjoying the thought that in two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine or ten weeks the two Veejay sets will arrive here...  :)  :)  :)

ubu

My Morgan/Shorter and HRS sets will ARRIVE TODAY!!!! :P

(incredibly, I ordered them this Monday!!! :excited: )

I always use the surface shipping option - cheaper and safer (as far as damages are concerned). And then, swiss customs and postal services are incredibly slow on times, so I don't count on getting them too soon - and as our dear friend couw notes, I've got too many discs to listen to, anyway ;)

Tell us what you think of the music once you start listening!

ubu

Enjoying the thought that in two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine or ten weeks the two Veejay sets will arrive here...  :)  :)  :)

ubu

My Morgan/Shorter and HRS sets will ARRIVE TODAY!!!! :P

(incredibly, I ordered them this Monday!!! :excited: )

I always use the surface shipping option - cheaper and safer (as far as damages are concerned). And then, swiss customs and postal services are incredibly slow on times, so I don't count on getting them too soon - and as our dear friend couw notes, I've got too many discs to listen to, anyway ;)

Tell us what you think of the music once you start listening!

ubu

In my last two Mosaic orders (one by surface mail, this last one by Airborne Express) I´ve had to pay customs. (Shit, way too much customs fees!!!).

But in my previous 30+ orders from Mosaic and some other on-line stores from USA, I never had to pay any customs. Many of those packages were much more voluminous and expensive than these two last ones. So, I guess it´s a change of policy in Spanish customs.

Maybe because of the NEW RELATIONSHIP STATE between Spain and USA.... :D (Fuck politics, btw) B)

... (Fuck politics, btw) B)

are you a royalist? :g

Swiss customs started to look closer at what I buy maybe two years ago. Before that I never had to pay anything, unless of course I ordered for several hundred $$ (which I did before I had a credit card, as paying by money order is rather a pain...)

The Atlantic NO, when I ordered it early this year, arrived very fast and without custom fees, with surface shipping - maximum two weeks, I think. So the major part of the hold up might actually take place at the swiss border.

ubu

I tremble a little every time the Airborne man delivers a package - fear of having been imposed with a hefty customs duty. No such problems with deliveries by normal post. Btw, hasn't Airborne Express been swallowed by DHL? My last two shipments from Mosaic were delivered by them instead of Airborne.

Now enjoying Elvin Jones Mosaic disc 3.

Btw, hasn't Airborne Express been swallowed by DHL? My last two shipments from Mosaic were delivered by them instead of Airborne.

Mine too. Probably DHL now owns Airborne Express.

BTW, I´ll follow your advice and order from now on by surface mail, though sometimes this shipping option between USA and Spain implies huge delays.

Btw, hasn't Airborne Express been swallowed by DHL? My last two shipments from Mosaic were delivered by them instead of Airborne.

Mine too. Probably DHL now owns Airborne Express.

BTW, I´ll follow your advice and order from now on by surface mail, though sometimes this shipping option between USA and Spain implies huge delays.

Ordering via DHL has always cost me a huge amount of money, it seems. Got on my nerves even more as I had no choice with some sellers...

EKE: I think the smaller the package, the faster you get it. If it's a big one (more than one Mosaic), the custom folks hold it up, look at it, and decide if or if not you have to pay any tax (and this might take them several weeks, it seems).

Here, if I have to pay any taxes, I also have to pay 12 CHF (approx. 9 US$) at the post office, as they (the post) had so much work because of my parcel... If I have to pay tax/postal-fees, it's from 20$ upwards...

ubu